Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2012 Dieback Already?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    interesting cam, those dead bees should have been live bees before they were dead bees.

what do make of not finding any spores in the live bees?
    Seems to follow this study. Infected bees fly off and die and healthy bees do fine.

A total of 705 individual bees were analyzed from five colonies over three seasons in 2010. bees analyzed were sampled from the honey supers because we found no significant difference in infection levels among different groups of bees sampled Overall, colonies were found to be infected with N. ceranae. In the spring, all colonies were found infected with an average N. ceranae copy number of 8,007. In the summer, 80% of colonies were found infected with an average N. ceranae copy number of 37,057. Only one colony was found infected in the fall; however, only one bee from this colony was positive for N. ceranae infection with an average copy number of 70.3. All other samples were negative (n = 249). These findings bring into question whether a hive that has been deemed highly infected has been diagnosed as such because of an overall high infection level or because of sampling practices in which a minority of bees were highly infected but the remainder exhibited only low-level infections or no infection.

Insects 2012, 3, 1143-1155; doi:10.3390/insects3041143

Individual Variability of Nosema ceranae Infections in Apis mellifera Colonies Author to whom correspondence should be addressed; E-Mail: traverb@vt.edu

Great looking Tie-Die bee suite there Ian!
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

cam, that would explain it.

how did you do your sampling?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

When testing for Nosema, it is suggested to test the bees outside the cluster, like at the hives entrances. Its a disease that targets older bees rather than newly emerged or nurse bees.
    This goes contrary to what was posted in #21.

interesting cam, those dead bees should have been live bees before they were dead bees.

what do make of not finding any spores in the live bees?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Thats my tie died beekeeper! He has been working on my honey farm for 4 or more years. He is now done school and is moving on with his life. Hmmm, I wonder how long it will be til I hire another Tie Die beekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Great looking Tie-Die bee suite there Ian!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    When testing for Nosema, it is suggested to test the bees outside the cluster, like at the hives entrances. Its a disease that targets older bees rather than newly emerged or nurse bees.
    how do you do your samples ian?

I take a small sample of bees from the brood area of the hive to sample for varroa
    I take a small sample of bees from the entrance of the hive to sample Nosema

how do you do your samples ian?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Back to the original question. Though not from commercial operations but several beekeepers have lost hives in the past few weeks near us. I never saw them but they claimed they were really strong late August early Sept. I think all were treated with ApiVar for mites in Sept or Oct. The only answers so far have been mite or virus overload. Some of the hives had plenty of stores.
    Mark
    Last edited by coopermaple; 11-11-2012 at 05:21 AM.

I take a small sample of bees from the brood area of the hive to sample for varroa
    I take a small sample of bees from the entrance of the hive to sample Nosema
    thanks ian. so like maybe 100 from the brood area and 10 from the entrance?

yes
    www.stepplerfarms.com

We have a mixed bag here, SQKCRK. the connection seems to be with rainfall. We had HEAT and no rain all July. The Rain came in narrow, swaths. If the yard got rain,and therefore made honey, it looks OK now. In August, two yards, 6 miles apart, show the range. one had almost 2 deeps surplus, the other was fed that night, it was starving. We are blaming the plats/rain(or lack thereof) for the problems we are seeing.

Crazy Roland

three posts from bee-l last month on this subject

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...F=&S=&P=194961

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...F=&S=&P=195705

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...F=&S=&P=200261

also was a thread in this section about someone from texas I think that had a mite problem.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ives-this-fall
    Last edited by wildbranch2007; 11-11-2012 at 03:28 AM. Reason: added beesouce link
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

And for those who may have missed it....
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ives-this-fall
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Actually took the samples of the live bees from the top board, not the cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Actually took the samples of the live bees from the top board, not the cluster.
    I know you guys would like to discuss sampling for Nosema. There are other Threads for that. Thanks.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I have heard from a beekeeper here in NY that he has been hearing of and seeing dieback in his outfit and others across the Nation, many different parts and in parts of Canada. How about y'all? Seen or heard something similar? What's going on? What are your observations or conversations about this like?

Is it mites? One guy I corresponded w/ thinks it has to do w/ the mild Winter (11/12) which was not only easy on the bees but the mites too, allowing an earlier buildup in the colonies.

Thanks for your input.
    Here in southern Quebec, the 2012 spring comes 3 weeks earlier, it's approximatively one more cycle of varroa reproduction. I had seen that in my hives, need many more treatments this falls (I use flash of formics but will surely need oxalyc evaporation to decrease safely the varroa in my hives). One of my field has no treatment befor October (oups, my fault), and I see deformed wings deseased, and a lot of mortality in front of those hives, wich never happend to me usually (I have 100 hives to compare).

Have had about 20 colonies die off in a couple of months, coupled with some excessive swarming once my colonies were taken to Florida for the winter. I did have heavy mite loads in those colonies that would not retreat despite hitting them with Check Mite, etc. I should also say that all of my colonies were on pumpkin pollination for one month prior to heading to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1954 View Post
    e heavy mite loads in those colonies that would not retreat despite hitting them with Check Mite
    Does that surprise you? I've never used it myself but understand that much of the mite population is now resistant.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Bee, comb & pollen samples sent in about 4 weeks ago.
    I called the lab on Thursday & was told that that the results will be finished & ready this week.
    So we shall see what they find.
    Fingers crossed that something is found!

what happened soupcan?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast