Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default 2012 Dieback Already?

I have heard from a beekeeper here in NY that he has been hearing of and seeing dieback in his outfit and others across the Nation, many different parts and in parts of Canada. How about y'all? Seen or heard something similar? What's going on? What are your observations or conversations about this like?

Is it mites? One guy I corresponded w/ thinks it has to do w/ the mild Winter (11/12) which was not only easy on the bees but the mites too, allowing an earlier buildup in the colonies.

Thanks for your input.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Default Re: 2012 Dieback Already?

as we check the outs we are not finding mites in the capped brood, lots of outs from Idaho where the drought brought on a grasshopper population which then was sprayed with growth regulators. The bees that were in areas not sprayed look ok.
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

Im hearing nothing but good looking hives from others this fall. My hives looked good going into winter storage also, but thinking my nucs looked small. I have not seen any Deformed Wing Virus this year like I have seen in previous years. My nosema is under control also, so the tests had determined.
    Our bees have not flown since beginning of October, and now they sit in storage. Could be a 6 month duration in the wintering sheds, this spring will determine our wintering success
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

LSP, I have heard losses attributed to pesticides(neonics) too.

Ian, storage? How are your colonies stored? Indoor overwintering?

ya we winter everything inside, put them away earlier this year because it got cold early this fall. Put them away just before the snow started. They will be sitting nice and tight quiet and calm until late March.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

U have snow already? Boy oh. NY is nicer now knowing that.

getting a foot dumped on us as we speak
    www.stepplerfarms.com

6+ inches here now already with more in the forcast. But I hear you are getting it worse Ian

We have a fresh 15 inches on the ground here at 3600 feet, not snowing now, but more forecast.

Alright already, enuf about the weather, how about what the Thread is about. I shoukldn't have commented on the weather in Manitoba.

2012 Dieback Reports anyone?

Im just glad we have finally gotten a good solid freeze. 5 inches of rain was really needed but made for a muck hole around the cattle yard.
    glad I was able to pick my bees on some frosty days.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

just a hobbiest here, no treating this year. 1 out of 19 is as good as lost already, 2 more are 'iffy'.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks peg, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of some reports/rumors(?) and want to know what is going on in the Commercial BeeWorld. But thanks.

oh, i understand, and you are welcome. i am interested in this too. i'll keep an eye on the thread.

In my attempt to sweep CharlieB's `odfrank' challenges on Beesource this year, see:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ring-challenge

my bees are setting up nicely. Clusters dwindling to fist size, DWV crawlers by the thousands, a few total losses already. I attribute it to no treatments for mites and massive DWV. Hives with mid and late summer queens seem almost impervious. Lots of EFB also. Looking good to be the big winner once again. Eighty-three and falling fast. It doesn't turn around till well past New Years, but at least the Eucalyptus have started blooming.

Gallons of soggy bee corpses for sale cheap, smell great for vandalization projects, like hide pile of them under the seat of your enemies car or truck.

Cool Re: 2012 Dieback Already?

Mine still kicking, at less for the next week or two. Mine has been cutting brood for the last few weeks. 62 deg.and sunny today and 90% flying. The cold weather the past few weeks have me wanting to get out and start putting brood boxes in for the new season. Would be nice to get ahead of the game for this next year.

I had 6 (out of 40) die so far, but 5 of those were my fault through starvation. A commercial guy near me has lost 20-30% of this hives. Lack of fall nectar and mites is the current guess.

All of my hives are very light. I've been feeding heavy, but they aren't putting on much weight. I'll end up putting candy boards or dry sugar on almost all hives.

sideliner here. No losses yet this fall. some light nucs but all are good so far. Production hives are heavy and strong. Just did a nosema count = 0 on live bees a few dead bees in front of the hives were loaded.

interesting cam, those dead bees should have been live bees before they were dead bees.

what do make of not finding any spores in the live bees?

I have heard a few reports of early losses. Seems like every year we hear some of these reports though this year it is pretty early. Pretty hard to know the scope or the causes at this point. Our bees are looking pretty good at this point. We have only seen about a 5% attrition since spring though I am sure the winter will claim a few more.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast