Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 2012 Dieback Already?

I have heard from a beekeeper here in NY that he has been hearing of and seeing dieback in his outfit and others across the Nation, many different parts and in parts of Canada. How about y'all? Seen or heard something similar? What's going on? What are your observations or conversations about this like?

Is it mites? One guy I corresponded w/ thinks it has to do w/ the mild Winter (11/12) which was not only easy on the bees but the mites too, allowing an earlier buildup in the colonies.

Thanks for your input.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Default Re: 2012 Dieback Already?

as we check the outs we are not finding mites in the capped brood, lots of outs from Idaho where the drought brought on a grasshopper population which then was sprayed with growth regulators. The bees that were in areas not sprayed look ok.
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

Im hearing nothing but good looking hives from others this fall. My hives looked good going into winter storage also, but thinking my nucs looked small. I have not seen any Deformed Wing Virus this year like I have seen in previous years. My nosema is under control also, so the tests had determined.
    Our bees have not flown since beginning of October, and now they sit in storage. Could be a 6 month duration in the wintering sheds, this spring will determine our wintering success
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

LSP, I have heard losses attributed to pesticides(neonics) too.

Ian, storage? How are your colonies stored? Indoor overwintering?

ya we winter everything inside, put them away earlier this year because it got cold early this fall. Put them away just before the snow started. They will be sitting nice and tight quiet and calm until late March.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

U have snow already? Boy oh. NY is nicer now knowing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ya we winter everything inside, put them away earlier this year because it got cold early this fall. Put them away just before the snow started. They will be sitting nice and tight quiet and calm until late March.
    Wow, you Canadians have it easy. We have to pull honey all year - no 6 month break in the snow here!!

In my attempt to sweep CharlieB's `odfrank' challenges on Beesource this year, see:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ring-challenge

my bees are setting up nicely. Clusters dwindling to fist size, DWV crawlers by the thousands, a few total losses already. I attribute it to no treatments for mites and massive DWV. Hives with mid and late summer queens seem almost impervious. Lots of EFB also. Looking good to be the big winner once again. Eighty-three and falling fast. It doesn't turn around till well past New Years, but at least the Eucalyptus have started blooming.

Gallons of soggy bee corpses for sale cheap, smell great for vandalization projects, like hide pile of them under the seat of your enemies car or truck.

Cool Re: 2012 Dieback Already?

Mine still kicking, at less for the next week or two. Mine has been cutting brood for the last few weeks. 62 deg.and sunny today and 90% flying. The cold weather the past few weeks have me wanting to get out and start putting brood boxes in for the new season. Would be nice to get ahead of the game for this next year.

I had 6 (out of 40) die so far, but 5 of those were my fault through starvation. A commercial guy near me has lost 20-30% of this hives. Lack of fall nectar and mites is the current guess.

All of my hives are very light. I've been feeding heavy, but they aren't putting on much weight. I'll end up putting candy boards or dry sugar on almost all hives.

sideliner here. No losses yet this fall. some light nucs but all are good so far. Production hives are heavy and strong. Just did a nosema count = 0 on live bees a few dead bees in front of the hives were loaded.

interesting cam, those dead bees should have been live bees before they were dead bees.

what do make of not finding any spores in the live bees?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I have heard from a beekeeper here in NY that he has been hearing of and seeing dieback in his outfit and others across the Nation, many different parts and in parts of Canada. How about y'all? Seen or heard something similar? What's going on? What are your observations or conversations about this like?

Is it mites? One guy I corresponded w/ thinks it has to do w/ the mild Winter (11/12) which was not only easy on the bees but the mites too, allowing an earlier buildup in the colonies.

Thanks for your input.
    Here in southern Quebec, the 2012 spring comes 3 weeks earlier, it's approximatively one more cycle of varroa reproduction. I had seen that in my hives, need many more treatments this falls (I use flash of formics but will surely need oxalyc evaporation to decrease safely the varroa in my hives). One of my field has no treatment befor October (oups, my fault), and I see deformed wings deseased, and a lot of mortality in front of those hives, wich never happend to me usually (I have 100 hives to compare).

John: it's not the only reason it can happen but it's probably the most common. Just take a close look at the bottom board if there are lots of dead mites then I would be certain of it

The reason I requeen each year isnt because I think the queens are bad It's because #1 I want a brood break #2 a certain percentage always begin to fail the second year (if its even 10% i consider that high and #3 it's so doggone cheap and easy to do down south in the early spring
    Last edited by jim lyon; 11-14-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Stupid smart phones

tim,

so is the theory that the fungicides don't allow proper fermentation of the bee bread? any science out on that yet?

jim,

swing by alabama on your next spring queen run, i'll buy you a beer.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    tim,

so is the theory that the fungicides don't allow proper fermentation of the bee bread? any science out on that yet?
    Im hearing more and more about this. I do not believe there is any conclusions on this but I do believe it is being looked at,

Personally I need to see some science on it before I will draw any conclusions. There are many types of fungicides being used today, and our bees seem to be in contact with them all because most of the fungicides target flowers.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I dont get it
    Good. Just it looked like some guys got a little hot water thrown at them, and I need a hot shower.

No, I don't have any proof, just thoughts. Draw your own conclusions. But you've (or at least some of you) have already done that.

I don't think we know enough about bees, little tummy microbes, fungicides, pollen, mites, or viruses. But we do have a decent way to combat them. Oh, I forgot nosema. Does anyone know anything about that? lol

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Stewart View Post
    Oh, I forgot nosema. Does anyone know anything about that? lol

Tim
    Ha ha,
    little tummy microbes , fungicides, nosema, hmmmm
    www.stepplerfarms.com

This does seem to be one of those years that bees want to die. I saw results as described. A couple locations would be good, then the next would be almost a complete loss. Before any bees died I sent samples to BVS in Montana for virus and nosema tests. None or very low on both counts. It's all about what my bees got exposed to. Lots of Sunflower and other crops they spray. My bees were basically all the same going out of TX into the Dakotas. All Nucs with cells and a mite treatment.

It comes and it goes. Some years are better than others. Sometimes the bees survive the amount of stress they are exposed to and sometimes they don't. It's part of life where I live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast