Thread: mite control

Default mite control

I asked a bee keeper what to use for mite control and he said I could use a product called Prozap Zipcide Dust made by Chem-Tech, ltd. Des Moines, IA as it had same/simular active ingredient as other mite control products. The container states its for use on dairy cattle, swine and horses. It it safe for bee's ? It doesn't seem to me it would be.
    "The true meaning of life is to plant tree's, which under whose shade you do not expect to sit" Nelson Henderson

Default Re: mite control

I would be very skeptical of that advise. I would not use it. Not only may it be harmful to the bees, it may not be effective on the mites.

Does the person that gave you this advise claim to have success with it?
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ralittlefield View Post
    I would be very skeptical of that advise. I would not use it. Not only may it be harmful to the bees, it may not be effective on the mites.

Does the person that gave you this advise claim to have success with it?
    X2. Things just are not that simple.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

This beekeeper has 50 -60 hives it looked like to me and has been in business for quite awhile I guess. I think I'll take this product to a chemical recycle place and get rid of it. 3rd year, 6 hives and have treated for mites only once.
    "The true meaning of life is to plant tree's, which under whose shade you do not expect to sit" Nelson Henderson

The active ingredient is Coumaphos.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/prozap-zipcide-dust.html

You can do a Google search for "Coumaphos bees". Coumaphos can be effective in killing mites. Depending on how you use it, it can also kill your bees, and possibly you as well.
    http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/perizin.html
    Operator Safety... Coumaphos is highly toxic orally to humans, and has moderate dermal toxicity.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 11-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

So my next question would be has Coumaphos ever been used on bees for mite control? Anyone know? As a stand alone ingredient or as a part of a control substance.

Yes, it has.

checkmite is Coumaphos

Thanks everybody, I'll look into checkmite for application instructions.

Checkmite (coumaphos) and Apistan (fluvalvinate) are two of the harshest chemicals used to treat mites. Read up on them - many beekeepers won't put those in a hive. If you're gonna treat, I'd recommend starting with a "softer" treatment such as ApiGuard (thymol based), Hopguard (hops-based) or Mite-Away Quick Strips (formic acid). Also, read up on Integrated Pest Management (IPM): many beekeepers have managed to avoid chemical treatments completely by using IPM strategies.

I think, in addition to many other negatives, mites are already showing resistance to cumophos

Thumbs Up Re: mite control

Quote Originally Posted by toms1arrow View Post
    Thanks everybody, I'll look into checkmite for application instructions.
    Well played Tom, mite resistance and recommended dose are important to know before jumping in!
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)