Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Success!

7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Ben Brewcat 
#1 ·
I think I've finally made a mead I like!
Just put it into bottles today....hasn't even aged....and it is still goooood!

See less See more
#3 ·
Honey, water, yeast...high enough OG to produce 14% alcohol...ferment to completion, rack onto a mesh bag with 1lb+ pureed blueberries/gallon of mead (actually was about 7lbs or blueberries and 5 gallons of mead) and about 75ppm sulfite, after 4 weeks rack off of blueberries...allow to settle for 6 weeks...bottle.

In the past I've skipped the sulfite. The blueberry juice would ferment and the resulting flavor didn't agree with my palate. This batch retains much of the blueberry flavor and some sweetness. I wouldn't call it sweet but it isn't dry either.

It is still pretty raw but is not unpleasant.

#7 ·
How much honey?
Now you're taxing my brain. I have notes....OG 1.094 and 1.096. Since this mead was started as part of two different mead making workshops...and I used a 3 gallon carboy for each...then when the fermentations were completed I put them together into a single larger fermenting bucket w/blueberries + sulfite. The way I generally do it, though, is by mixing to an OG that suits. If I had to guess...for a 6 gallon fermenter, I would probably use 4 gallons of water and 4 quarts of honey...then test and adjust as needed.

#8 ·
To carry my entire obsession with blueberries further...yesterday I bottled 146 bottles of blueberry - honey vinegar. I told a friend....yeah I have a couple, believe it or not.....that I'd gone bananas over blueberries :)

#10 ·
Actually, I'm making far more than I'm drinking so that ought to be remedied as well.
One of life's challenges. :)
Having said that, I've never made a mead I liked....so I've always given it away...took it to parties where it becomes a novelty. Any number of folks always like it....I just never have. But this batch.....I'm thinkin' I'm going to be a little more stingy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.