Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Default Re: Winter losses vs. Summer gains

Mike, I cannot recall where I saw it but it was in an article and referencing actually several researchers all basically saying that yes hygienic behavior can bee over done. I do not recall exactly where I saw the article and have no idea in what papers it would actually be claimed. I do know it was not the run of the mill beekeeper conversation. It may have been on vsh.org that I first ran across it. I do know there are more reliable claims so it might be worth the time to search.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Mike, I cannot recall where I saw it but it was in an article and referencing actually several researchers all basically saying that yes hygienic behavior can be over done.
    I wouldn't quarrel with that. I thought what you were saying was, in agreement with Oldtimer, that mite resistance invariably entailed significant production costs.

Mike (UK)
    Anti-husbandry: Medication + Reproduction = Continuing Sickness
    http://www.suttonjoinery.co.uk/CCD/

Quote Originally Posted by mike bispham View Post
    I thought what you were saying was, in agreement with Oldtimer, that mite resistance invariably entailed significant production costs.

Mike (UK)
    Please show me where I said that. The invariably part in particular. Or withdraw the statement.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That I was trying to raise? I think you have me confused with someone else.

However since you ask, and at risk of you falling off your chair, I do have an opinion on the matter. Please realise that any energy expended by the hive superorganism on dealing with mites, such as purging infected brood, etc, comes at a cost.

Consider that Apis Cerana, who are very mite tolerant, spend a lot of time grooming, cleaning, etc, and make pretty small honey crops.
    I would guess he is referring to this.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Can't be, cos I did not use the words invariable, or significant.

It was an exaggerated and made up statement to make me look foolish, and he will refuse to retract it.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233