Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ask Questions Here!

Well, I appreciate that you're not arrogant. And the other people who have responded to my questions here have been really helpful. I was getting all wigged about my upcoming installs, but I feel I have really good info to work from now.

Thanks, everyone!

Sondra

Quote Originally Posted by SRBrooks View Post
    Since I'm in Texas, my hives are always positioned to get morning sun and either dappled or full shade in the afternoons. We get temps up to 105 on some days. Is there EVER a time when I want to vent the hive by removing the bottom board?
    If all you have is 3 little round holes for an entrance, then when the hive is full of bees, and it's 105, one way or another they will need more ventilation than just the 3 holes. Quite a bit more probably.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

New Question for Solomon - A friend and I began beekeeping four years ago. We have yet to do a split and are going to try it this year. Were trying not to screw it up, so could you give me your best shot at how to do a split. I've read a lot on this site and other places and some of the information is conflicting. (Like that never happens in beekeeping ) Anyway, if you can distill it all down to a basic process I'd like to hear your approach to doing a split. Thanks

Dear Solomon:
    I asked about TBHs and absconding a few days ago. I took your advice and that of the other responders. The screened bottom board is closed off, and the queen has not yet been released.

I installed two new packages yesterday around noon. The queens are still in their cages, and I did not remove the cork and allow the bees access to the candy, even. Should I take out the corks today, or fully release the queens today, or give them a little more time in the hives before I do either?

Sondra

Hello Solomon,
    On your website you have a photo of syrup that is green colored and a statement that you dye it to make sure you only sell honey, never stored syrup. That makes sense to me. What do you use for dye? Food coloring such as used to add color to cake frosting?
    Thanks.

I used regular food coloring. I don't think it is the same thing as cake frosting coloring, the only kind of that stuff that I have seen is a gel. Not that it won't work the same, it's just not what I used. I used the little egg shaped bottle type of food coloring.

In any case, I have not used it in a couple years. I quit feeding sugar syrup and now only feed granulated sugar for the most part. Not saying it will never happen, it just hasn't happened lately. I have abandoned stimulative feeding. And there comes a point in the fall (though maybe not in Texas) where the bees will no longer take syrup. Granulated sugar can be fed beyond that point to supplement insufficient winter stores.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Sondra, I am sorry, I did not see your question until just now. I hope you did eventually allow the queen out!

Whalers, sorry, I did not see your post until just now. I don't get emails when Alistair posts, so I don't see anything afterwards either.

My best shot for a walkaway split is to take the queen and five frames of brood, more of the open rather than not. If it is a very large hive, you can take more brood. The idea is that the queen goes to the new location or else the new location will have many fewer bees as they will tend to stay where the queen is. If you move the queen then the foragers who don't want to change locations will go to the old hive and you'll have a more balanced population. In this way, the most bees will go to both hives, and the original location will likely pull in a bunch of honey as they won't have as much brood to take care of until the new queen starts laying. Make sure to leave eggs and/or very young brood so they can make a new queen.

I have moved on to using queenright cell starter and finisher to make queens then using queen castles to as mating nucs which then graduate up to larger nucs and hives. Walkaway splits are very inefficient in raising queens because a whole hive works for a month to make queens only one of which is allowed to be kept.

Thanks. I was thinking of the liquid, not a gel.

This is a purchased nuc I just hived a couple weeks ago. I see the bees bringing back lots of pollen, but they can also empty about a gallon of syrup in 2 days. There are lots of plants blooming right now and I don't know how critical it is for me to keep feeding the syrup. I'd really prefer not to open the hive more than once a week, and I don't know how many days their stores will last if I don't refill the feeder more often.

They should be capable of gathering nectar on their own at some point. It's what bees do. I seriously doubt the possibility of them running out this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    They should be capable of gathering nectar on their own at some point. It's what bees do. I seriously doubt the possibility of them running out this time of year.
    But its snowing and sleeting here in Kansas Solomon, I hope we run out of that. ha ha

Yeah, I know, if we get our forecasted snow, it will be the latest snow on record here. I am concerned for my mating nucs. However, not concerned enough to feed them!

I am a hard hard man.

We've had nasty weather just about every Thursday for the last two months. They ought to be used to it by now. They've had nice weather five days a week, that ought to be good enough.

The feeding question is never quite as simple as "will they or won't they run out of feed" it's more of a question of how much brood reduction will result if you allow stores to get too low. Most of my day today was spent feeding bees. The bees look nothing short of spectacular with queens laying like crazy but stores are getting dangerously low in some locations. Unusual to say the least but with a cool front moving in it seemed the only prudent thing to do to insure that nothing gets stunted. Each season is different but when brooding is at its peak and the honey flow is on the horizon is when demands are the greatest and when you have the most to lose.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Sure thing, I have a couple nucs with cut swarm cells placed in them. Pretty sure it will be a loss on as they needed to take a flight soon, not a big loss of bees but a loss of the potential gain.

I agree, the several gathering and mating days last week could have been a
    god send for the even splits. Resources are there for several days, need a break Sunday.

Jim, you're not treatment-free and you're not a hobbyist. My focus is toward those beekeepers, and my answers will be toward their benefit and not directed toward commercial beekeepers. Commercial beekeepers have their own forum. This is the treatment-free forum. There is nearly zero overlap between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    The feeding question is never quite as simple as "will they or won't they run out of feed" it's more of a question of how much brood reduction will result if you allow stores to get too low. Most of my day today was spent feeding bees. The bees look nothing short of spectacular with queens laying like crazy but stores are getting dangerously low in some locations. Unusual to say the least but with a cool front moving in it seemed the only prudent thing to do to insure that nothing gets stunted. Each season is different but when brooding is at its peak and the honey flow is on the horizon is when demands are the greatest and when you have the most to lose.
    Tuff bees are tuff bees. I was born a German/Cherokee Indian and pampering is not in the vocab. When all others reported 5 and 6 frames of brood at the meetings i had spotty brood and thought the queens were failing. Hind site 20/20 they new what was going on. I love local bees. Old Mother Nature.

Hope all is well Jim,

Nate

sigh
    Last edited by jbeshearse; 05-02-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: decided to not contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    ......There is nearly zero overlap between the two.
    do you really think the bees care sol?

i'm proceeding off treatments, and i'm not commercial.

the below average temps have stumped my spring build up and my honey harvest may suffer.

the seasoned veteran makes a good point, thanks jim.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

I am answering questions and trying to keep it on topic, a thread where people can ask questions of a treatment free beekeeper and get answers from experience in the Treatment-free Beekeeping forum.

If they have questions or comments or concerns or points in the context of commercial beekeeping, they are free to proceed to the appropriate forum.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    do you really think the bees care sol?

i'm proceeding off treatments, and i'm not commercial.

the below average temps have stumped my spring build up and my honey harvest may suffer.

the seasoned veteran makes a good point, thanks jim.
    This is sol,s thread and don't want to answer for him at all. But the bees know and that is the bees knees. Sol, your thoughts.

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast