Hybrid View

Default Dadant small cell foundation

Does anyone here have expereince with using dadant 5.1 for first regression step, and then moving to 4.9? If so, how did it work out? and how long did it take? I am referring to established colonies.
    Donna

Default Re: Dadant small cell foundation

I have no experience with 5.1, but plenty with their 4.9 Foundation. I have used only 4.9 since 2007, and have used it for the installation of LC or unknown packages, nucs, and swarms with success. Bees will draw what they can draw. They do not always get it right the first time, but if they dont you can cull the frame and let them try again. As you might know there are a number of factors that play into the colony's comb building. If a strong flow is on, or they are being feed with large volume full access hive feeders, you might find that the cells are excessively large. More colonies than less do an admirable job with the 4.9 without any step down.

Quote Originally Posted by gkervitsky View Post
    I have no experience with 5.1, but plenty with their 4.9 Foundation. I have used only 4.9 since 2007, and have used it for the installation of LC or unknown packages, nucs, and swarms with success. Bees will draw what they can draw. They do not always get it right the first time, but if they dont you can cull the frame and let them try again. As you might know there are a number of factors that play into the colony's comb building. If a strong flow is on, or they are being feed with large volume full access hive feeders, you might find that the cells are excessively large. More colonies than less do an admirable job with the 4.9 without any step down.
    Thank you for your reply, I have been trying the foundationless route with mixed results so I am looking at going with SC foundation for next spring. Since they are somewhat regressed I should be able to go directly to 4.9. Did you use the 4.9 exclusively, even in honey supers? I do like foundationless but I think I need to move more quickly. I don't have any mites or any other diseases in my hives, I am on an island in northern Nova Scotia. Mites are beginning to spread this way so I want to be ready. Pleased to hear of your success.

My little operation has been using small cell wax foundation almost exclusively since 2003. In the last couple years, I have begun using Mann Lake PF-1** frames but that's another issue.

I have used it for everything. The best drawn comb stays in the broodnest while the poorly drawn stuff gets moved into the honey supers.

I have never seriously considered an intermediate step in the regression process. I don't feel it would provide any benefit and would certainly provide added complexity.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    My little operation has been using small cell wax foundation almost exclusively since 2003. In the last couple years, I have begun using Mann Lake PF-1** frames but that's another issue.

I have used it for everything. The best drawn comb stays in the broodnest while the poorly drawn stuff gets moved into the honey supers.

I have never seriously considered an intermediate step in the regression process. I don't feel it would provide any benefit and would certainly provide added complexity.
    Thank you Solomon, yes, I am thinking that is the way to go, my plan is to start feeding it in first thing in the spring before a main flow really gets going. Did you cut out corners for drone brood?

Like Dee Lusby, I cut off 3/8" or so from the bottom edge of the foundation. It avoids buckling and gives space for the bees to draw some drone if they so choose. They don't fill it in usually, but it's there.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

On another note, Frizzel,

I tried two packages with Dadant small cell this year. It was my little experiment to give it a go. Here's the link to my post about it: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ions-this-year.