Hybrid View

Default dead bees in front of entrance

We had our first snow in CT last night and this morning there's a few dead bees outside and a few at the entrance is this normal? I haven't put any wrap on the hives because they're against the fence in the corner and the house protects so they can only get a easterly wind.

Default Re: dead bees in front of entrance

The snow made you notice. That's all.

I worry if I don't see any dead bees in the snow.

I've noticed that when it's below 50 F and cloudy, the bees will drag out their dead and just push them off the landing board. I assume it's just too cold for them to carry off the dead like they usually do, so they just do the minimal.

I spend way too much time just standing in front of the hives, watching the bees. :-)

There was a pile about 10 infront too. They're so smart it's amazing.

I've had around several hundred die hanging around the hive on the outside, like stuck to the outside when it's warm, then when it gets cool, like around 45 their dead.
    Is this normal?

That worries me, too. We had a cold snap last night and snow all day today (currently it's exactly 32 degrees). There were almost 30 on the landing board this morning. My neighbor assures me his hives are doing the same. If I press my ear up against the hive I can hear a continuous buzz, so I guess everything's OK.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Dave...if I understand you correctly, one of my hives did the same thing the other day, but not as many as yours. It looked like they died exactly where they landed. In the picture, every visible bee, except the cluster at the entrance, is dead. Only happened once and there hasn't been any more dead ones since, but it sure seemed odd to me.

Dead.jpg

I don't think they're dead. I think the cold has slowed they're level of activity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzz View Post
    I don't think they're dead. I think the cold has slowed they're level of activity.
    So, they're only "Mostly Dead?" - Miracle Max

Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Any insights and thoughts from experienced beekeepers as to why bees are trying to fly when too cold?

Are they older foragers still heading out for pollen/nectar?

Are they being helped out of the hive as they are of little value over winter, similar to drone expulsion? Or do they leave on their own accord for betterment of the hive?

Hive is too warm inside and bees think flying is still on?
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I'm not sure how many (if any) of the bees I rescued made it back to the hive. Most of them just flew up and off in random directions, like they were still foraging. One of them flew up about 30 feet in the air (towards the hive) then dropped like a stone. I found her 7 inches into the snow, completely dead (warming her up again didn't help).

As has been pointed out, this has been happening for as long as there have been bees. It's probably not something to worry about, provided your hive was strong going into winter. Still, it's unnerving to see all those dead bees! I imagine this will be easier to stomach next year.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.