Default effects of propylene glycol (wintergreen base solution)

I'm getting ready to mix up grease patties and I notice my wintergreen extract is mixed with propylene glycol. Will this harm my bees?

Default Re: effects of propylene glycol (wintergreen base solution)

I wonder what happen it ends up in honey? That's what I found on the internet.

How Toxic is Propylene Glycol

According to the Environmental Working Group, propylene glycol can cause a whole host of problems. It is rated a 4 by them, which is categorized as a “moderate” health issue. It has been shown to be linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive issues, allergies/immunotoxicity, neurotoxicity and endocrine disruption. It has been found to provoke skin irritation and sensitization in humans as low as 2% concentration, while the industry review panel recommends cosmetics can contain up to 50% of the substance.

I don't think it will harm your bees but not sure what other effect it will have. It's my opinion that treating mites always has some effect on the bees. It's a matter of what your tolerance is and what the end result is for the colony. That formula is not always simple!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    I'm getting ready to mix up grease patties and I notice my wintergreen extract is mixed with propylene glycol. Will this harm my bees?
    Lucy, I don't know the answer to your question, but I believe most recipes call for Essential Oils, NOT extracts.

Essential oils extracted with the steam method if I'm not mistaken.
    Dan