Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

A big winter move: MI to TX

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sfisher 
#1 ·
I am planning to move my honey bee hive from Michigan to Texas using an enclosed cargo trailer. We have a few concerns.

1.) Is this a safe distance?
2.) What about weather (cold here in MI but hot in TX)?
3.) Should the hive been sealed or use a hive net?
4.) What about the winter cluster? What if it's disturbed during transit?

We've heard winter is the best time to move. But MI to TX? Please help us. Thanks!

#2 ·
1.) Is this a safe distance?
Distance isn't a concern, bees are moved cross-country regularly.

2.) What about weather (cold here in MI but hot in TX)?
4.) What about the winter cluster? What if it's disturbed during transit?
No different than taking bees to California for almond pollination. Commerical beeks do it every winter.

3.) Should the hive been sealed or use a hive net?
Net. Bees need ventilation.

... an enclosed cargo trailer.
When you say "enclosed", do you mean a standard U-Haul-type box trailer? I'd be concerned about it being an oven and roasting the bees as soon as you hit warmer temperatures.

Please help us.
Have you checked if there are any regulations regarding bringing bees into Texas? Do you need to get them inspected before leaving Michigan?

#3 ·
It's not hot in Texas now. When are you moving? We're in the mid-80s during the day now, mostly. Nights are chilly. It shouldn't get oven-hot again for at least another 6 months.

Summers are a different story. Once it gets hot, OMG, it is HOT. I don't place hives in full sun. I place them so they get morning sun, and then dappled shade the rest of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.