Thread: formic question

Default formic question

RickD posted this in the tfb forum:

"This is a little off the thread, but I am in need of a reply from someone. I have been reasonably treatment free, albeit I do sugar dusting in the late summer/early fall. i have bought into the idea of small cell and trusted the bees. I monitored this year after the last dusting and had high mite counts...averaging almost 100 with a 24 hr drop. I did a wintergreen syrup treatment which had little aggregate effect. I just did a formic acid treatment with the Mite Away 2 strips...I was scared out the wazzoo after reading the instructions. anyway, when I went in to do the deed, I had not opened the carton before going in because of the scare messages, and while at the hive discovered that the strips are too long to go across the 8 frame hive with 2" from each side as recommended. I cut them in half and placed them in the hive as the directions were drawn, but they said nothing about halving....what the hell? It is early winter, and bees are drawing back, s this can only have a helpful effect, I suspect. Was this the wrong thing to do? Should I have placed two strips lengthways in an 8 frame hive..even tho they are very robust, they are not what they have been....I obviously do NOT like chemicals.....they flat out RAN from the strips, like they flat out AVOIDED the wintergreen feed (completely in the case of a nuc).... "

i was curious myself. any thoughts?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: formic question

You are not supposed too puncture the paper package it is in, That might be why it happened. My bees did not really care that much it seemed, even though I think I cracked a couple of the strips, they did not beard at all, though it was below recommended temperature when I put them on.

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin

You are fine with cutting them. I halved some strips to treat nucs 6 weeks ago. No problem according to Liz at NOD. Some hives run from the strips others do not seem to mind. I treated 34 hives six weeks ago. Bought the product last year was afraid to use it after reading early reviews. Used it this year. Good mite drop but not completely eradicated. Had to do a follow up later. Three hives queenless after treatment. Had to requeen them. Maybe a total of a dozen larvae thrown out so a tiny bit of brood loss. Overall I am satisfied with the formic. Treatment free is not for me.

Although it has been cool out after the treatment, there seems to be minimal dead bees on the landing board...10 maybe on each hive...and they are flying even though cool. Queens are not laying anyway, I hope....it is early November.
    I would not like that smell in my home either.....so I do not blame them for running.
    Thanks for your response.

Mite Away 2 is supposed to have been fixed dosage wise since their first incarnation. I still hate doing to them...will take a ocunt next week, thouh I have to think that clustering reduces numbers in the drops, though this is not what I am told by the Wise Ones.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.