Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    245

    Default Vaporizing Oxalic Acid, crush and strain?

    I fed some vaporized Oxalic Acid into my TBH.
    There is a light grey coating over all the comb.
    What does this mean for crushing/straining as a
    honey harvest method?

    Would the residue on the hive be harmful to humans? - Mike

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Grayson, KY
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: Vaporizing Oxalic Acid, crush and strain?

    It will be gone soon.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: Vaporizing Oxalic Acid, crush and strain?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGun View Post
    It will be gone soon.
    Well, here's the whole story: About a month ago I did the Oxalic Acid treatment. My guess is that I didn't recognize I was getting robbed plus they were weak so I lost the hive, leaving me with a lot of honey. I'll leave some for the spring installation, but I'd like to take one and crush/harvest it.
    I'm concerned about that residue. I'll try brushing it off with a brush.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Vaporizing Oxalic Acid, crush and strain?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhorowit View Post
    Well, here's the whole story: About a month ago I did the Oxalic Acid treatment. My guess is that I didn't recognize I was getting robbed plus they were weak so I lost the hive, leaving me with a lot of honey. I'll leave some for the spring installation, but I'd like to take one and crush/harvest it.
    I'm concerned about that residue. I'll try brushing it off with a brush.
    If the frames are fully capped, but there are no bees to do clean up duty, I would think a gentle spray of the frames and letting them dry would take away pretty much all of the OA. It is very soluble and should wash off without much effort. THis is theory, not my experience, however.

    Brian

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: Vaporizing Oxalic Acid, crush and strain?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeeButler View Post
    If the frames are fully capped, but there are no bees to do clean up duty, I would think a gentle spray of the frames and letting them dry would take away pretty much all of the OA. It is very soluble and should wash off without much effort. THis is theory, not my experience, however.

    Brian
    well, I rinsed that portion of the comb (with the grey residue) and let it dry and it remains. I'll rinse again and scrub lightly with a paint brush to see what happens. - MIke

  6. #6

    Default Re: Vaporizing Oxalic Acid, crush and strain?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhorowit View Post
    well, I rinsed that portion of the comb (with the grey residue) and let it dry and it remains. I'll rinse again and scrub lightly with a paint brush to see what happens. - MIke
    My apologies Mike. Thought that would work.

    I've never looked into a hive shortly after an OA vapor treatment. I wonder how long it takes for the girls to clean up the inside surfaces after being gassed (?).

    Brian

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads