Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

mark, thanks again for that excellent response. i see you as especially qualified to answer the question as to how much or how little the is the consideration of nosema in the real world of beekeeping. you tend to confirm my suspicion that is may be less than it deserves. (an educated 'hunch")

for the record, i did not say or imply that nosema causes ccd. my understanding is that ccd is linked statistically with significance to nosema, and has been identified as a probable co-factor.

sergey, believe it or not, (raises hand), i was the one asking most of the questions, sometimes to the audible groaning of my fellow classmates.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I recall a time when in training we had to sit thru a number of lectures so I took some quilt pieces I was making to help the time pass. Figuring it would be less intrusive than snoring. But the powers that be didn't see it that way, they thought it disrespectful So, I started asking questions. I asked one lecturer why he thought a blacksmith was so necassary on a tobacco plantation and he said to make the barrels for the shipping of tobacco. Hogshead barrels for tobacco are made w/ ash sapling hoops I pointed out. He told me to go back to my quilt piece making, not in so many words.

I also recall the other people in the class didn't like me asking questions because it meant we would have to be there longer.

Didn't mean to imply you were saying you knew. Just stating my opinion and one agreed to by others I know. Many things coexist and have no detrimental effects.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

>>Didn't mean to imply you were saying you knew. Just stating my opinion and one agreed to by others I know. Many things coexist and have no detrimental effects.

thanks mark, i didn't think you your challanging what i said, and i agree with you and others on that.

i also agree with your statement than many things coexist without detrimental effects in the bee colony, some 8000 from what i read.

but there are some which are detrimental, and associated with collapse. i am challanged to understand more about nosema. i've got some homework to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    If anyone tells you they know what is causing CCD (the cause of 5 out of 30% Winterloss) they are either lying to you or themselves or both.
    Now you are starting to sound a little pessimistic?

Realist. I have talked to a number of well known, intelligent beekeepers and researchers and they tell me they don't know. They have suspects and they know what doesn't cause it. But they haven't found enuf things found incommon in the supposedly CCD killed hives.

Maryanne Frazier says it isn't one thing that it is the culmination of all the things which have happened since varroa arrived here including whatr beekeepers have done to theiur hives, how modern agricultiure has changed (no or fewer hedge rows), and the over use of pesticides in the lawncare industry. But, let me repeat, but, there is no one reason, no smoking gun and worse off, no silver bullet.

That's not pessimism, thems the fax as I see them. I don't think that's a speck of saw dust in my eye, but I could be wrong. Can anyone see it and help me get it out?

I agree, I have read and heard the same things, it's not a single cause. Your statements implies nobody is going to figure out what causes CCD because there is more than one cause. It's very hard to find causes by trial and error when there are multiple variables involved. When your intelligent beekeepers and researchers tell you they figured out what causes CCD will you believe them?

Quote Originally Posted by Joes_bees View Post
    When your intelligent beekeepers and researchers tell you they figured out what causes CCD will you believe them?

Those who I have faith are worthy of trust and belief. But I will still want some reason to believe beyond sayso. Trust but verify. But, it doesn't much matter if I believe someone if what they say is true and accurate. If it is it will become evident.

I have laughed so much during this thread...not at anyone just at the funny way all the parallel posts are interweaving and all the interesting historical themes, political, religious, everything! Am loving all the personality that has come through the posts as well...has been feeling like being at a really good party where you hear a whole bunch of interesting/funny conversation going on around you and you know at the end of the party you'll have a lot to talk about on the car ride home.

Mark, what is it with guy beekeepers and quilting? I have never heard you mention this before! There is a guy in our club who also quilts but we knew him as a beekeeper for 10 years before we found out that not only does he quilbt but has an entire floor or his house for a studio...his wife had her own quilting studio on another floor....she wasn't a beekeeper.

Ramona

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona View Post

Mark, what is it with guy beekeepers and quilting? I have never heard you mention this before! There is a guy in our club who also quilts but we knew him as a beekeeper for 10 years before we found out that not only does he quilbt but has an entire floor or his house for a studio...his wife had her own quilting studio on another floor....she wasn't a beekeeper.

Ramona
    I'm glad you noticed and asked Ramona. I don't know.

My wife was teaching a quilting class under the local Williamsburg City Recreational Department, so I tool the class. I haven't sewn much since, but I used to embroider when I was a teenager. So I was hand sewing my quilt peices while listening to lectures. Those sexist pigs were insulted by my quilting, supposedly not paying attention, yet women commonly knit while at Church or watching movies or all sorts of things, klickety klacking knitting needles. Who knew how loud and distracting silent sewing was so distracting.

I'm glad we could entertain you.

I'll be moving a bunch of posts to TG.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'll be moving a bunch of posts to TG.
    not pertaining to beekeeping, but nice discussion none less.

how does tail gater work barry?

Regards, Barry

many thanks barry, not just for the reply, but for keeping beesource going.

i'll be sending you an email requesting access to tg per instructions on the link above.

how seriously should i take 'poster beware'?

am i finally going to find out what people really think about me?

Tg is the Beesour e equivalent to taking it outside. I thought about going there once but only briefly. Decided it was one of those places my Mom warned me to stay away from.

yikes! that bad huh?

beesource has been my first and only foray into social media. i don't facebook, youtube, ect.

it's interesting. i feel like i have made friends here, and learned a heck of a lot about beekeeping.

jim, if i get hopelessly trapped in tg and need rescue, can i count on you to get me out?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    yikes! that bad huh?

beesource has been my first and only foray into social media. i don't facebook, youtube, ect.
    TG is probably the most literate place on BeeSource. TG is not there for us to make friends.... but seems like we do anyway. Just come prepared to defend your argument... no one is going to insult you... it is quite different than it used to be.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

thanks for that heads up herb.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    TG is probably the most literate place on BeeSource.,.. no one is going to insult you... it is quite different than it used to be.
    It must have changed since my last visit. I came and left....and am not likely to return.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Squarepeg: You are on your own, perhaps Barry can throw you a lifeline. They occasionally send people like Herb out on recruiting sorties.

thanks anyway jim, i understand. if you don't see me post for a few days, at least call 911.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast