Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 169
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,153

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joes_bees View Post
    .... YES.

    And I agree Rader, I was very impressed with Acebirds post, but leave the age stereotype out of it.
    Seriously? "YES"? What makes you think so? Why do you have no faith in the resiliency of the Honeybee? I see no evidence of extinction. Do you?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,153

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Like it or not the brain slows down as you get older. You can accept that or not but the deterioration of the brain will continue until it ceases to function. Everyone is destine to get dementia or Alzheimer if you don't die from something else first.
    That's what I thought you meant, the elderly and mentally infirm, not older people. You aren't in your 80s or 90s, so elderly probably would have been a better choice of words. Though it would still have been silly to say. imo
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    this fits right in line with what I'm trying to say. Many people grow old and feel that is evidence that their opinion is correct. Being able to retain an opinion for so many years doesn't ALWAYS mean it is right. It can also mean your opinion has never been challenged or you are a very stubborn person.

    However many people grow old despite the bleak picture Acebird paints, and do keep an open mind, do contribute and interact with the world in a way that benefits us all. It's not right to lump those people in with the others.

    Now my view of beekeeping may sound bleak, questioning if it's broken and listing problems, but it's only so that we can prepare to react and quickly as we have changed it. Beekeeping is rooted in a lot of history... a lot. However in the last 50 years we have guided breeding and shaped genetics, exposed hives to pests, viruses and chemicals. Human kind has a heavy hand in the survival of many species on this planet and to think there are people like sqkcrk oblivious to our effect on bees is terrifying.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,153

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joes_bees View Post
    However in the last 50 years we have guided breeding and shaped genetics, exposed hives to pests, viruses and chemicals. Human kind has a heavy hand in the survival of many species on this planet and to think there are people like sqkcrk oblivious to our effect on bees is terrifying.

    Maybe you know more than I, maybe you don't. That's why I asked you to enlighten me, relieve my oblivion. While you arew at it, would you please lighten up on the fear mongering. We may not be in "The Golden Age of Beekeeping", but for many of us things are pretty darn good. Bees are plentiful. Honey prices are Historically high even accounting for inflation or cost of living. Pollination needs are huge and growing and pollination fees are good.

    So, what's w/ the doom and gloom? I'm not oblivious. I'm simply saying this is nothing new, historically speaking, and not only are things not that bad they will be fine in the future. Maybe it is you who are blind to how things are.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    8,995

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Human kind has a heavy hand in the survival of many species on this planet and to think there are people like sqkcrk oblivious to our effect on bees is terrifying.
    Well if you are not set in your ways or too stubborn that you can't be swayed...
    I think the human race might have an effect on the beekeeping industry but I do not believe it has any effect on the extinction of an insect, at least not at our present or near future population. We stand more a chance of killing ourselves off than any insect.

    I just got this from my sister:


    The following write-up explains so much.

    "Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was? Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses. Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers what's known as an 'event boundary' in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next. Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale."

    It's not aging that causes us to forget; it's the stupid door"!

    Whew! Thank goodness for studies
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    5,662

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Well, Ace, I was going to propose that if you modified your original post to eliminate the "older" insult, that I would modify my response to essentially endorse your post.

    But you seem to enjoy tossing out gratuitous insults. How would your original post been less true without the "older generation" portion?

    You post these kinds of insults on a regular basis, then when I later find them and repost your own quotes in a later thread, you complain that you are being insulted! But they are simply your own words!

    Carry on!

    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Honey prices are Historically high even accounting for inflation or cost of living. Pollination needs are huge and growing and pollination fees are good.
    Have you taken any economics classes? What causes prices and demand to be high? The lack of supply.

    Your point about fear mongering is well taken. I'm glad to hear things are good for you there in NY.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Peace River, AB Canada
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    An optimistic economist may point to an increase in demand rather than a shortage of supply.
    I don't think beekeeping is broke, we just have challenges that need to be overcome. A short term problem in the grand scheme of things.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    I don't view myself as a fear monger, or doomsday sayer... people that know me think I'm generally happy and optimistic. It appears compared to the sentiment on the beesource forums I am. I guess I always thought the media was blowing things out of proportion, but this discussion is leading me to believe all the beekeepers out there are happy.

    Am I suppose to believe those studying beekeeping at the universities are just fanning the flames to get more funding for their research?

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,153

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joes_bees View Post
    Have you taken any economics classes? What causes prices and demand to be high? The lack of supply.

    Your point about fear mongering is well taken. I'm glad to hear things are good for you there in NY.
    Joe, well, actually I have, but that was a while ago. I also gained a two year degree in Beekeeping from Ohio State University's Ag Tech Institute under Dr. Jim Tew where I learn something about beekeeping history. Thus my nothing new comment.

    I think you and I have a diametrically different point of view, mine being optomistic. I see by your profile that you are 26. Too young to have such an attitude about life.

    My optomism isn't just in regards to what is happening here in NY. I actaully have experience working bees in a number of States over the last 36 years. I have also lost hundreds of colonies of bees in one year, going from 732 down to 100 and yet not given up. Stubbornly optomistic or whatever adjective you wish to submit.

    Here's another thing to think on. Have you ever tried to eradicate anything? Disease, pest, animal, plant or whatever? Next to impossible. Unless there is a hugh amount of money and determination. If the Federal Government wished to eradicate honeybees for some reason it would be so hughly expensive and take so long that it wouldn't be worth it. So, honeybees are going to be here long after you and your grandchildren are dead and gone.

    There is no lack of supply for those who want to have what they want. They may not be able to afford what they want, but that doesn't mean there is a shortage.

    You still keeping bees? I hope so. Stick around and stick it out and you will be glad you did. I predict.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,153

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joes_bees View Post
    I guess I always thought the media was blowing things out of proportion, but this discussion is leading me to believe all the beekeepers out there are happy.

    Am I suppose to believe those studying beekeeping at the universities are just fanning the flames to get more funding for their research?
    People are motivated to do all sorts of things for selfish reasons. Media hype has helped raise public awarness of the plight of beekeepers and gets people to watch the News and buy Newspapers. That's their business.

    Trust but verify. Take everything w/ a grain of salt. Question authority. All those things. Yes, Universitys do fan flames to a greater or lesser degree in order to justify getting funding. It's how the game is played. There could also be a problem which could be addressed by research which Universities are best able to find answers to. Some times not.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    I see you're quick to bash the young as well as the elderly.

    And apparently you have grown smarter than your teacher
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. James E. Tew View Post
    Why are honey bees for pollination in short supply?

    In the mid-1980s, two new species of predaceous mites established themselves in the US. They have been infesting and killing both managed and wild colonies ever since. Finally, across the US, most wild honey bee colonies have been killed leaving only managed colonies to provide honey bee pollination services. The mites can be controlled in managed colonies. Concurrent with the colony decline, honey prices have risen causing some beekeepers to allocate colonies to honey production rather than crop pollination. Therefore, there are fewer honey bee colonies and many of the remaining colonies are being directed toward honey production.
    taken from http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2171.html

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Also I have tried to eradicate a few things. I work in the sterilization industry. Very hard to kill bad things, surprisingly easy to kill good things.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    8,995

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    But you seem to enjoy tossing out gratuitous insults.
    Says you. I don't post insults. It is a twist You try to spin not just with me. Practically every post you make that is a comment about me has a animated cartoon attached. What do you classify that as?
    I have read my comment over as to it's insulting nature and see none of it. It is a fact of life. Maybe the truth hurts.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,153

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joes_bees View Post
    I see you're quick to bash the young as well as the elderly.

    And apparently you have grown smarter than your teacher

    taken from http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2171.html
    Please show me the quote where I bashed the young and the one where I bashed the elderly. Because I don't think I did either.

    Ar Jim's comments dated 2000? Is that what the "/2000/" in the Link address means? I know I am not smarter than Jim, though that is the goal of all Professors, or it should be.

    Jim has an even wider point of view than I do, since he gets around and talks to more people than I do. But, I believe he would agree w/ me that things are pretty good right now relatively compared to what they have been like.

    You seem to be taking this personally.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,153

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joes_bees View Post
    Also I have tried to eradicate a few things. I work in the sterilization industry. Very hard to kill bad things, surprisingly easy to kill good things.
    Good and bad are relative terms, often depending on one's point of view. Purpleloostrife is a weed to be eradicated from the pov of NYS DEC, but when beekeepers hear this being said we automatically think, "Hey, leave our nectar source alone. We have already lost so many."

    Killing and eradicating are two different things too, as you appear to know.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    if you right click on the page, view page information you'll see it was last modified on October 08, 2007. So yep, it's a bit old.

    Man, you're right, glad that whole crisis was averted and bees are just fine now. I think I'm going to kick back and relax.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-07-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: uncivil

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,153

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    My Mom would prescribe a Chill Pill for you were she still alive. Get over yourself. Goodnight is right. I don't see why you can't respect the fact that we see things differently from different perspectives w/out getting snotty about it.

    Have a nice life.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    5,662

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I don't post insults.
    Huh. What about this thread? You yourself described your post as an insult!
    Last edited by Acebird; 05-28-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Removed insulting phrase

    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...nspector/page2
    And then there is this thread, where your post was so insulting that Barry deleted it. I did save a screenshot before it was deleted, but I am not going to post it here. Perhaps you remember this one? Its right after post #65 in the thread linked below:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...g-advice/page4
    You were making a comparison about the competence of a person based on the his ethnic heritage and the shade of skin. Does that ring a bell, Acebird?

    There are more, but that will do for now. Lets move on to the Funny Pages.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Practically every post you make that is a comment about me has a animated cartoon attached.
    Only some of the icons I use are animated. Perhaps you would like me to only use the icons that are static. Do you prefer this one?

    These icons are available to all members as far as I can tell. Are you really paranoid enough to believe that Barry provided those icons just so members could embarrass Acebird?
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockford, MI
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: Is Beekeeping broke?

    Some of you guys sound like a bunch of bickering old hens.
    Agree to disagree and go to the opposite corners of the boxing ring! lol

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads