Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

honey color change

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Joel 
#1 ·
I harvested my honey late August from 3 different hives. It was a clearer honey than last year and has a marvelous flavor. I think more white clover and black locust than last year. Over the past several weeks it has started to thicken quicker than I would expect and some minor crystallization. Flavor is still excellent. I am assuming it was a little too wet yet and now will progressively crystallize through the next months. Does this mean I took it off too early? I did not use a hydrometer, although a friend has one which I may need to use in the future. I would like to avoid this mistake in the future. Thanks for suggestions.

#5 ·
Some gentle warming in a pan of water on a stovetop will bring it back to liquid pretty quickly or perhaps you are just as happy using it in its current state? If it was too wet (highly doubtful in this dry summer) it would have some bubbling and a fermented smell.

#7 ·
We produce Buckwheat and there really is no mistaking that robust flavor, The other "Dark" honey in our area comes from Knwotweed also called Japanese Bamboo. It is almost red in color since it blooms near Golden Rod in area but can be almost buckwheat color if it is more pure. Unlike the strong buckwheat, it tends to have a more "Savory Sweet" flavor and it crystalizes as smooth as glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.