Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Winter manipulations, a couple questions?

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  jmgi 
#1 ·
It's been a busy fall and I didn't get the mouse guards on. Very important out here, lots of mice.
The bees are clustered and haven't flown in probably a few weeks so I do hesitate disturbing them.

It's cold enough that if I pop the hives open, manipulate enough to know there aren't mice, then re-close- bees are going to fly out and not be able to get back in before they cool and fall to the ground.

Any tips?

Also- the propolis between boxes will be cracked leaving little air spaces the bees worked hard to close up. My boxes are old so this is significant in my opinion. As we get some very windy conditions is it worth duct taping (or another tape?) the seams between supers?

Thanks.

#9 · (Edited)
I would hesitate putting peanut butter in front of the hive for risk of attracting every mouse in the county to it. If you are using Lang's, take a careful look into the hive through the entrance opening. Look for evidence of a grass nest indicating the presence of a mouse. Also, if you have a solid bottom board, look for mouse "raisins" on it. Lastly, insert a wooden dowel into the entrance using a sweeping motion to clean out anything mouse related. Once satisfied you have no mice, install your mouse guard and hope you did everything you can to get them through the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.