Hybrid View

Default Winter manipulations, a couple questions?

It's been a busy fall and I didn't get the mouse guards on. Very important out here, lots of mice.
    The bees are clustered and haven't flown in probably a few weeks so I do hesitate disturbing them.

It's cold enough that if I pop the hives open, manipulate enough to know there aren't mice, then re-close- bees are going to fly out and not be able to get back in before they cool and fall to the ground.

Any tips?

Also- the propolis between boxes will be cracked leaving little air spaces the bees worked hard to close up. My boxes are old so this is significant in my opinion. As we get some very windy conditions is it worth duct taping (or another tape?) the seams between supers?

Thanks.

Default Re: Winter manipulations, a couple questions?

Could you just tip them back and crack loose only the bottom board to check for mice? If they not seen from the bottom they are probably not in the hive.

I could try, but I've found they like to hide instead of bolt unlike what I've read elsewhere.

Well then I'm fresh out of ideas. But what I suggested is about all I would do unless some with alot more experiance than me (almost anyone lol) chime in.

I dont know if ratpoison woud hurt the bees - but if not then you could stick it into the hive through the entrance and then put the mouse guard on ! Just a thought - never done it myself!

Since mice are nocturnal (for the most part), I would install them at night when the mice have left the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Almondralf View Post
    I dont know if ratpoison woud hurt the bees - but if not then you could stick it into the hive through the entrance and then put the mouse guard on ! Just a thought - never done it myself!
    What do bees often do with powdery substances that might have a sweet flavor? Put it in the comb as if it were pollen, perhaps? Does pollen often wind up in honey over the course of a season?

Put rat poison in hives. I think now I've heard everything.

Wayne