Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

"treatment treadmill"

60K views 241 replies 41 participants last post by  Joel 
#1 ·
in post #21, in the thread 'm bush on treatment-free', in the tfb forum, solomon parker writes:

"I do not want a first year beekeeper to start any way but treatment-free. Once on the treadmill, there's no good way to get off."

do any of you feel like you are stuck on a treadmill and can't get off?

#99 ·
Me: "My hive died, but there were no mites in it."
When I find deadouts….I rarely find mites either, unless I catch them mid-failure. Then I see the scavengers hauling off the mites too.
There's plenty of denial to go around.....slurring or not.

#97 ·
good reply dean.

i am in 100% agreement with you that suppressing afb with preventative antibiotics doesn't make sense in the long run. no responsible physician that i know would use antibiotics in this way. there is no question that you will develop resistant bacteria, as has already happened with terramycin, and run the risk of afb popping up once treatments are stopped. i say, 'buyer beware' of any old hives, or nucs that have been split out of hives, that have been treated in this way.

i look forward to reading the mussen report. if it's a good study, this would be a case of science supporting the harmfulness of that treatment, how is that 'meaningless' or 'empty'? (i decided not to apply fumidill to my hives every fall as was recommended to me when i started. i definitely don't want that in my comb or honey). i do want to understand my options should nosema threaten my hive(s).

so far as the 'stuck on' vs. 'getting on', not worth quibbling about. thanks for your posts.

#98 ·
Hic :) no but seriously. I feel I am running an experiment in the macro. We treat far less than we used to and I consider myself pretty responsible in what we use and when we use it. Why do some choose to put so little weight in the results we have achieved? Why do I feel some are genuinely irked that we are succeeding and want to do their best to dismiss it? I have evolved and adapted and I don't consider my views nearly as rigid as those espousing a very narrow treatment free dogma. We were just recently reminded of this over on the tf forum when a prominent poster admitted that he wasn't even open minded about his views on treating just that he believes what he believes. To each his own that's certainly his right.

#103 ·
Hic :) no but seriously. I feel I am running an experiment in the macro. We treat far less than we used to and I consider myself pretty responsible in what we use and when we use it.
I think all of the above is true.

Why do some choose to put so little weight in the results we have achieved?
....if you are not getting a premium in the marketplace for above average product produced with above average practices, then I would point out that "those that put so little weight" are in fact the packers (and industry) who buy your honey....the ones who benefit from the relative commidification of honey to use the cheap adulterated stuff to keep the prices paid for your honey down. Perhaps you should do some marketing..or perhaps we should talk.

deknow

#102 ·
Actually, I agree that oftentimes people discount the mites if they don't know what to look for, if they don't see a ton of them, or if they discount some of the viral infections that _can_ be vectored by mites (although most viruses have overt symptoms most of the time). We have lost hives to overt mite infestations...but except for 2 nucs we brought in from a specific operation, not in the last 3 years. I'm sure they play a role in some of the problems we have seen....but the bees aren't all dead, they generally look healthy, we hardly see any mites. we don't do counts, but I do have very sharp eyes for mites. I do uncap a bit of drone from time to time, and rarely found mites at all this year. We make splits, but we haven't split like mad.
At our local club, it is claimed that the mites bounced back like mad after the fall treatment..we often hear that the bees are starving and need feeding or they will die. Our state club president (also working with the Russian program) stated as recently as 2 years ago that if you don't use fumadill, your bees will die. None of this seems to be the case for us.

deknow

#104 ·
I'm sure they play a role in some of the problems we have seen....but the bees aren't all dead,
They may not always be the direct cause...and the visible diseases they vector aren't always evident but the impact of their parasitism on both developing brood and adult bees is frequently ignored. The overall vigor of the colony is sapped and it will succumb, more readily, to any other pressures.

#105 ·
I started out no treat when I got back into beekeeping. Lost every hive that winter. These were good bees with VSH queens and the bee inspector remarked what good hives they were in July. So now I treat. Like Jim I use as little treatment as possible and use only VSH or other resistant queens. Last winter I lost no hives, although it really wasn't a real northern winter. I have never treated for nosema, and never plan to. I personally don't think it's a major problem in the northern areas since it is so susceptible to freezing. I have a scope and recently my counts were zero in most hives. I have never had AFB yet, so I don't treat for that. Would not, I would burn the hive and move on. It's really a personal choice. I'm not on a treadmill, just trying to keep my bees alive and continue to expand. Will have 2 more honey yards next year if I don't have a bad winter. Had my best honey year this year.

#107 ·
As the conversation seems to have turned to the 8,000 organisisms that supposedly live in the beehive superorganism, my personal belief is likely the same as nearly everybody else, that a proper balance is important.

It's useful to know what's been discovered in a lab, and this information should be in the back or our mind when we work in the real world.

However, to talk about, for example, the destruction of yeasts essential for bee bread production, is to imply that, you treat, your yeasts die, you bees cannot make bee bread, you're screwed. I am growing weary of these types of doomsday scenarios being bandied around.

Outside of a lab, in the real world, most of my hives get treated. Do they look sick? No, quite the reverse. The hives are booming, honey is pouring in, I have sold record numbers of bees ths year. Open any one of my hives and you get this feel good, woah this hive is Pumping vibe, which makes me enjoy my job.

So I'm not questioning what's found in a lab. I'm questioning how it really pans out in the real world, and the way it's interpreted by some who use it to try to prove their own agenda.

Antibiotics, well no, I wouldn't use them. But for those with different climatic factors than what I have, I say go with what works for you. (Which, by the way, is an incredibly common saying on the treatment free forum LOL). The discounting of scientific research and studies is also not without precedent, doing that is also a very popular pastime on the treatment free forum. :D

#108 ·
I don't want to speak for Michael Bush, but I"m thinking that forums discussing the how to's of TFB and TBH rather than a debate on the pro's and con's of each of them is more beneficial to those who have already decided to pursue TFB or using TBH's, but I understand that some of the audience of those forums is composed of people who are undecided on which direction to go, and they may be expecting more of a debate on the subjects to help them make a decision. So, that explains why things are what they are. Those that have had mite related losses due to no treatments feel the need to educate others about what could happen, and they are entitled to their opinion. John

#111 ·
I think Solomon just wants to run a tight ship and keep things on topic in that forum. It may dissuade some discussion but those same topics can be discussed in other forums. People looking for treatment free info can go right there and not be bombarded with people arguing in every thread.

#113 ·
The concept of a forum with tight rules so that likeminded people can discuss their opinion without having to mess with opposing opinions is not wrong, in itself.

Where it goes wrong though is that keeping bees without treating them has an automatic appeal to people starting out, with no knowledge, and looking for guidance. So they see the treatment free forum, with authoritative sounding advise being handed out, and that's where they decide to go.

People are herd animals. Scientific studies have shown that most people will agree with what they know to be wrong, if everybody else does. There are some famous experiments that have shown that.

So I've seen newbies turn up at the tfb forum and ask questions and get answers. Everybody talking to them seems to be on the same page, there are no dissenting opinions, the newbie buys it, and will often make remarks such as "so glad I found this place". But looking at the position they are in, I know the advise they are getting is wrong and will result in the loss of their bees, often their only bees. And later follow up posts will often show that was the case. The people dispensing advise are often rather too cavalier in their attitude to the survival of the newbies bees. The advise is usually based on the idea that what works for one will work for all. But it doesn't.

Some of these people after getting wiped out have the courage to start again, and some of them are here. Most leave the hobby, disillusioned.

I don't know what the fix is for this problem, because to open the forum up to balanced opinions would then stop the existing people having their own single track thing going, without dissent. I will say that the abusive behaviour from (generally newbies) on the treatment free forum has improved greatly over recent times. I used to often see people who treat referred to as "" ignorant", and much worse, often by people who didn't even have bees yet. With this sort of thing getting cleaned up mostly, I feel the whole general tone of Beesource has improved, this thread is seen by some as an arguing thread but it's very mild compared to what used to happen, so that has to be good.

#114 ·
An old indium comes to mind. "If there's an A the works and a B that works, don't do a little bit of A and B." You either do A or B. In my hundred years of work history this statement is most often correct. I started treatment free, and I will remain treatment free. Having said that, they're your bees so do what you wish. I'm not going to bash either approach.

My bees are not within miles and miles of other kept bees, so my negligence won't affect other beekeepers. I suppose my lack of treatment could knock out some feral bees. Nineteen months into beekeeping, I have not lost a hive.

#118 ·
Old, I kind of agree with you on the new beeks but if they make a good effort at being a decent beek I do not see why they would fail. From the forums most failures I see don't have much to do with the route the beek has taken, moreso in the time dedicated to spending time with the hives and doing meaningful research and actually learning something and being able to grasp the concepts.

I do see a lot of new beeks with no biology/entomology experience kind of jumping in and wanting to take these routes and that does concern me as it's the toughest hill to climb so to say and it also seems as an excuse for a lot of noobs to take the 'well I'm treatment free excuse' for not inspecting their hives ever or monitoring for diseases or just not knowing anything about bees in general. It just falls back to, well, "all these people told me treatment free was the way to go and being totally viable for everyone," and taking the 'bees will take care of themself' motto too literally.

#121 ·
and it also seems as an excuse for a lot of noobs to take the 'well I'm treatment free excuse' for not inspecting their hives ever or monitoring for diseases or just not knowing anything about bees in general.
I don't see why that should concern you. Is it your loss or are you wielding a finger?

#122 ·
It may be appealing to one starting out to not treat, however, if you start out by purchasing your hive from a bee supply catalog, you will soon come to the pages of treatments for this and that disease and pest, so right from the start the beginner is faced with the decision of treating or not, but my thinking is that with limited knowledge the beginner is going to choose to treat in some fashion to try to preserve their investment in bees, unless they are fortunate to have a mentor that helps them choose the better option. Sorry if I offended anybody. John

#124 ·
If I followed the line of thought in post #118 and applied it to me, then I would have to admit that even though I adhered to treatments for the first 35 or so years of my keeping bees and was therefore enlightened about bees in general, I have become dumber the last 5 years since going the non-treatment route. John

#125 ·
Post 118 reminds me of the last two newbees I saw fail with TF.

#1, installed package, I helped her inspect it a week later, everything fine, October comes around, the hive is dead. She did not check it once, fear I surmised.

#2, started a hive, moved away, left hive with a non-beekeeper, never inspected, dead in October.

#126 ·
I feel stuck to the treadmill because of my location, my lack of small or natural cell size frames, and the fact that I care for all of my hives and don't want any to die. I know I can't escape my bees dying forever, but I want to minimize it. I might try treatment free when I have enough natural cell size frames.

Nathan

#127 ·
don't want any to die.
That's what sticks you, not the rest. You can't have natural without death. When people talk about natural selection, you rarely hear about what happens to the ones that aren't selected for success. In nature, the slow wildebeest doesn't get to retire on a farm upstate. He comes to a rather grisly end and often before getting to grow up.

I am not saying any of this in any sort of negative way, it's just the fact of the matter. The decision as always is yours.

#129 ·
libhart, you can also get on the "resistant queen treadmill" if the treatment treadmill is not to your liking. That can get expensive too. You're right though, once that special queen you bought dies, is superceded or a swarm issues from that hive, you have lost some resistance in the new queen that is raised, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that but that's what I read somewhere. John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.