Default Greetings from Nashville, Tn

Hello Folks,
    I am a new beekeeper this year. I find it to be a fascinating hobby. I started out this spring with 2 nucs of Italians. They seem to be, in my opinion (an uneducated one for sure) doing real well. They have filled 2 deeps with honey and with the fall bloom, have each partially filled out a medium super. I would love to try my honey, but some beekeeper friends suggest I leave the partially filled supers on all winter, so when the queen starts laying they will have a little extra honey. I know the decision is ultimately mine, but I would like to get as much input as possible. What do you think?

My other question is about reactions to bee stings. I have experienced progressively worsenning reactions to the stings from my little friends. I had my doctor prescribe an Epipen for me, just to be safe. I would like to hear from others that have had this experience. Do the reactions ever level off, or do they continue to get worse? I would hate to have to give up my new hobby. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

David

Default Re: Greetings from Nashville, Tn

Chuktown,

get ready to hate me. Reactions to bee venom differ from person to person you may have progressivly worse reaction each time in which case how can anyone here risk telling you anything different which may result in you having a BAD reaction. My second part to that question is don't get stung. Really if you are having it bad get a full suit, gloves, veil, tape pant legs etc... First three years or so I worked bees I didn't get stung. As far as honey if you haven't made up your mind at this point in the year let it go until spring.

Default Re: Greetings from Nashville, Tn

Welcome David! You can always ask your doctor about desensitization treatment.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com