Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What kind of syrup pump used on a truck mounted feeder tank

Sorry for the late reply its a Roper 2835. Pumps the thickest of syrup without a problem.

I was looking into this awhile back and a pump dealer indicated that a diaphragm pump might be best with really high solids content. Apparently they self prime and can run dry without harm. Koshin and Honda have 2" diaphragm pumps that may do the job but they are a couple grand each. Another observation is that the syrup I get from Mann Lakes is 77% solids. If my math is correct that is a 3:1 mix that can be reduced to 2:1 by adding water. Going from 3:1 to 2:1 makes a huge difference in viscosity. My 2" trash pump works well in cold weather with 2:1 but 3:1 pours out like pancake batter from a ladle.

I use a tank heater I got from Man Lake for around $50.00 if the weather gets to cold for my 2" trash pump.

What kind of tank and where does the power come from for the heater? It would take a lot of power to heat a 275 gallon tote??

I keep my totes in a heated building. I then feed out with a 5.5 Honda 6:1 reduction and 1" bronze gear pump. Can be seen at beebotanical.com

I also have a 275 tote and when I buy syrup when the weather is cold I will put one or two heaters in the tote over night to heat the syrup. The syrup heater is powered by 120v ac and puts out 1000 watts. Like I said Manlake sells them for heating syrup in plastic tanks. I normally use one at a time but have used two if the weather is really cold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12