Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Honey granulating in jars

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  rweakley 
#1 ·
some of my honey crop is already granulating in the jars. Has anyone here ever tried re-liquifying jars of honey by setting them on a coffee mug warmer? (Those little electric "hot plates" for keeping coffee warm for slow-sipping coffee drinkers.)

I wonder if the warmer will heat the honey too much. I'm thinking that it would get quite warm but the heat will rise throughout the jar and, as the crystals begin to melt, the cooler honey will move downward. As long as I keep an eye on it and don't let it stay on the warmer too long, I thought it may work as an alternative to a hot-water bath. A hot water bath would cause my labels to come off.:eek:

Thoughts?

-js

#6 ·
if you are reliquidfying many honey jars it may be worth your while to make a "hot box" with a junk fridge or freezer,light bulb, and a thermostat to turn the light on/off at a temp that wont hurt the labels.
they have other uses as well- lowering the moisture content of honey before bottling,thinning buckets of honey to pour /bottle easier,and pest free storage when not on.

#7 ·
Use your stove oven. It may have a proofing temp that can be set for around 100F or alternately put a couple of trouble lamps in it control by a thermostat inside the oven.

#11 ·
Check "CraigsList" you might get lucky and find a junk dorm room size one.
Maybe you could contact some of the "scrappers" that haul junk metal and get one from them for $5 that would be way more than scrap price.
Good Luck, Mike

#13 ·
For a small number of jars I find the best way to reliquify them and not have to worry about getting them too hot is to use a heating pad (like one you'd put on your back when it hurts) set on low and wrap it around the jar, leave for a few hours and your have reliquified honey. I checked with a thermometer and it never got over 106 set on low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.