Default Honey granulating in jars

some of my honey crop is already granulating in the jars. Has anyone here ever tried re-liquifying jars of honey by setting them on a coffee mug warmer? (Those little electric "hot plates" for keeping coffee warm for slow-sipping coffee drinkers.)

I wonder if the warmer will heat the honey too much. I'm thinking that it would get quite warm but the heat will rise throughout the jar and, as the crystals begin to melt, the cooler honey will move downward. As long as I keep an eye on it and don't let it stay on the warmer too long, I thought it may work as an alternative to a hot-water bath. A hot water bath would cause my labels to come off.

Thoughts?

-js

Default Re: Honey granulating in jars

it sounds good too me let me know how it works .........good luck

I don't think it will conduct well enough, personally, I'd use some sort of water bath to control the heat/temp.

I have used one of those round dehydrators. You have to improvise a little to find something to enclose it in. I used a stock pot turned upside down. The temp gets to about 105-110 degrees and in a short time the honey is perfect.

I use a cheap styrofoam cooler and fill in with hot tap water. Let it sit for a couple of hours and your done.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

if you are reliquidfying many honey jars it may be worth your while to make a "hot box" with a junk fridge or freezer,light bulb, and a thermostat to turn the light on/off at a temp that wont hurt the labels.
    they have other uses as well- lowering the moisture content of honey before bottling,thinning buckets of honey to pour /bottle easier,and pest free storage when not on.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Use your stove oven. It may have a proofing temp that can be set for around 100F or alternately put a couple of trouble lamps in it control by a thermostat inside the oven.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I use a cheap styrofoam cooler and fill in with hot tap water. Let it sit for a couple of hours and your done.
    I second Charlie's opinion. Its just what I tell my customers.

Quote Originally Posted by mike haney View Post
    if you are reliquidfying many honey jars it may be worth your while to make a "hot box" with a junk fridge or freezer,light bulb, and a thermostat to turn the light on/off at a temp that wont hurt the labels.
    they have other uses as well- lowering the moisture content of honey before bottling,thinning buckets of honey to pour /bottle easier,and pest free storage when not on.
    I have an old freezer I am saving for that purpose. Unfortunately, it is at my house in alabama and I do not have the space here in TN. Thx. -js

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    I second Charlie's opinion. Its just what I tell my customers.
    Yeah, that would work but then I would have to relabel the jars. -js

Check "CraigsList" you might get lucky and find a junk dorm room size one.
    Maybe you could contact some of the "scrappers" that haul junk metal and get one from them for $5 that would be way more than scrap price.
    Good Luck, Mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Why not make a hot box out of a styrofoam box? No need for a large fridge.
    Cheers
    Rob

For a small number of jars I find the best way to reliquify them and not have to worry about getting them too hot is to use a heating pad (like one you'd put on your back when it hurts) set on low and wrap it around the jar, leave for a few hours and your have reliquified honey. I checked with a thermometer and it never got over 106 set on low.