Default Open feeding with candy

Hi Ya'll, I am a newbie and thought I would run this question by you. I have heard of open feeding in Spring time with the chicken waterers and stuff, but what do you think about open feeding with the candy (fondant)? I was thinking of putting it in something that has a little water around it so the ants would not get it and let them all feed instead of putting it in the top feeders. That way with the colder weather coming, I can take off the open honey super I have on them. Thanks in advance.
    "Live it like you stole it"

Default Re: Open feeding with candy

If its cold, how are the bees going to be able to fly over to the candy? Why not put the candy inside the hive?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

It isn't cold here yet. I have been feeding them with the candy in the top feeders. Our weather here fluctuates so much that I took off the liquid feeders, closed the entrances to keep out mice and then it gets warm again. It was just a thought. In Central Texas, it could be Spring-like weather at Christmas. The bees are as confused as I am, LOL.
    "Live it like you stole it"

I have done open feeding with sugar. Much easier than candy. Wet it a bit to get them interested. It has to be warm enough for them to fly, of course. They are less likely to have a feeding frenzy as they show much less interest.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF