Hybrid View

Default Anyone ever bring hive inside for winter, heat, feed, water and let them fly around?

Could one have them raising brood all winter ? Got a sun room that could work.
    Cheers,
    Drew

Thumbs Up Re: Anyone ever bring hive inside for winter, heat, feed, water and let them fly aro

I did this once in my garage in Alaska during the winter of 1985. From my bad experience, I would expect the bees to come out of the hive for cleansing flights if they get over 40 or 45 degrees. They will go straight for the windows and leave their excrement on the inside of the windows and walls. If it isn't too warm, they will just crawl on the hive and leave their brown spots there. If there is an incandescent light on, they will land on it and cook (smells real bad). I put the bees back outside and they did fine. The smell was still there when I moved away.

From what I've read, those who overwinter inside keep the space dark and under 40 degrees.

Good luck.

P.S. The bees would use a truckload of honey and pollen producing brood all winter. Besides that, continuous brood production would be a real boon for mite numbers (they increase their population about 2.5% per month during brood production). Most hives have some brood year around with short broodless periods during the winter months.
    Last edited by Lburou; 11-05-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Default Re: Anyone ever bring hive inside for winter, heat, feed, water and let them fly aro

Thanks Lee,
    Was thinking I'd screw a package cage over entrance so they'd have a screened patio But they did build up (add comb) over winter ? Don't mind the feeding, only a few hives. No mites yet knock on wood. What temp do u think for active but not 2 active, bout 50 ?
    Cheers,
    Drew

Default Re: Anyone ever bring hive inside for winter, heat, feed, water and let them fly aro

I don't know what can tell you, except that I wouldn't do it again. I didn't feed them, so I'm sure they did not make any comb, I doubt that is a realistic hope. FRom what I've read, it needs to be under 40 degrees and dark.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

If you really want to bring them inside, how about treat them like an observation hive and have a tube to the outdoors? Them being indoors would keep them warmer so they would not have to work as hard to keep warm, and all their cleansing flights would be outdoors.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

That is a possibility I am considering. Just worried they won't cluster then I will loose many as they try to fly in winter. Still gathering info.
    thanks,
    Drew