Default Is it possible to do a trap out this time of year - Alabama

I am suppose to go and remove bees from a house next week here in alabama... Temps are 40-75 next week. Some old timers told me not to cut the soffit but instead drill a small hole and install a bee excluder. Then seal all area they are coming and going from. Then take brood from another hive and put into a nuc box. Put the Nuc where bee excluder is and when bees cannot re enter house they will take over the brood in the Nuc...

I would like to hear your thoughts and please be detailed so I can be successful when I attempt to do this next week. I hope to bring great news back to the forum.
    TonyGotaTruck
    Lake Martin Alabama

Default Re: Is it possible to do a trap out this time of year - Alabama

40 is prett cold. 75 is Ok I guess for a cut-out, but a trapout I think you may find you won't have time. It can take from 6-8 weeks to get them trapped out, then you need to let them go back in and get the honey. The other major issue is SHB and other varments. in a couple days this hive can be stressed by SHB and you'll have a major mess inside the soffet. I'm in Pa, so I'd look for local advice, but as far as doing a trapout search for Cleo Hogan on this site. He has some GREAT info. Personally I'd be inclined to try a cut-out rather than a trap out. If you do make sure you have some bee go or something similar on hand with you. Once you get all the comb you'll want to have it available in case you don't get the queen and there's another place for them to go. (learned this from experience this summer. Major bummer!!!)

I would do everything I could to avoid doing a cutout (or trapout) this time of year. I've had several calls recently from people in AL wanting me to do cutouts. Usually, when I explain why it should not be done this time of year, they understand. As for doing a trapout, I would not do a trapout in this situation regardless the time of year. You may get most of the bees but the remainder is left behind with all the comb and brood and stores to make one huge mess and maybe damage to the structure. -js

I'd do the cutout. It's a ready made hive.
    Just rubberband all the hive combs into frames and place in the hive body. Vac all the bees and add to the hive when you get it placed.

likely death sentance if you can wait that would be the best option if they are going to spray then i would go for it

Wadehump has it in my opinion, however we are both well north of you. Someone down there would be more helpful I'd think.

If you do a trap-out in a structure any time of year I would get a written release that the owner understands there is still comb, and possibly brood and products of the hive that will rot and or attract rodents and other insects that will ultimately cause much greater problems than an active beehive and possibly cause consequential damage to that portion of the house.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com