Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Doing Bee Keeping Presentations at Schools - Need your thoughts

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Beelang 
#1 ·
With our farmers market stall we get the opportunity to meet face to face with a wide range of customers.

Have been asked a few times to come talk to the kids, present something for a church group on bee keeping - that kind of thing.

Just wondering if many bee keepers do this, and would like some advice on what to do, and what not to do.

Am very interested on what you guys have to say about this.

I am thinking, Observation hive is a good idea.

For small kids, say 6-11 years old, would want to keep talking to 15 minutes maximum?

Everyone wants a sample, or a taste dont they?? So a frame of capped honey that people can touch and eat a good idea?

Would you take a smoker, or bee suit?

Is it rude to take honey / candles etc for sale afterwards?

what do you normally talk about, or what does your speech consist of? I would like to take the approach that honey doesnt just 'come from the supermarket' and that there are local bee farmers etc that sell unprocessed honey that is good for you etc - not sure if that kind of info is the wrong message?

What is the worst thing that can go wrong?

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends on what age group you are presenting to. Elementary age really like the "smoke gun" and they all want to wear the veil. Be prepared to debunk the "Bee Movie" (pollen jocks are actually girl bees). Observation hive is a must. Takes a bit of time for all the group to have a chance in front of it. Mark your queen she is the one they all want to see. No Samples. Sugar high - sticky mess and the parents may not approve. For older groups, not schools sales afterwards are expected. Doing live hive inspections (or remove the prior day) grab some drones for them to hold/ pet.

Worst can go wrong - observation hive knocked over mass of bees escape - sting allergic child - lawsuit.

#3 ·
I generally speak for about 5 minutes then take questions. Answering the questions can take as long as you like. Speak on how many bees in a normal colony, different jobs bees do in the hive, how long they live, pollen, honey, royal jelly, how much honey can be produced, how far they forage, how they make a queen, pests, disease, stings and reactions to, what to do when stung, what to do when being buzzed, how to start with bes, how you got started,etc the list is endless. I always stand and walk around when speaking. Just make sure you and your audience are having fun. It is not a lecture series.

#5 ·
I have done schools and scouts and find an observation hive is a way to go. Have a queen in a queen cage with some workers to pass around it is a kid pleaser. A bee suite and smoker can be shown I don't wear it way to hot indoors but You could wear just the Vail to make an entrance. I do bring honey sticks to hand out to the kids and I mark one stick with a stripe using a magic marker for a give away prize. Like a bee poster life of the bees or a bee book etc. Do about ten minute talk then five Q&A and ask who has the honey stick with the stripe and give the prize and then hit the road and let the teachers deal with the sugar pumped up kids. Enjoy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.