Default feeding bees honey

i have ask a question like this before but did not get a good answer. i want to feed 2 gal. of honey to my bees. i have been putting some on plastic foundations laying flat on a table about 100 ft. from the hives. i would like to pot the entire bucket out for them. is there a way some of you have done this? do you put small holes in the bucket? and what does it drip on? i do not want to have it thick to where they will get stuck and die. does any one have pictures or a link of something like this. thanks

Default Re: feeding bees honey

best to use a bucket style feeder inside an empty box and under the hive cover(s) to prevent robbing. think boardman feeder on the inside of the hive.
    i save mayo jars for this or you could use a standard canning jar with small holes in the lid.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

you could do a search at the top of the page for "zip lock baggie feeder" many report success with this inside the hive(s) also.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

are you saying i can feed the honey just like feeding sugar water in a qt. jar? do the holes have to be biger since it is thicker?

Feed it just like sugar water.
    The holes don't have to be larger.
    I observe that my bees will stick their tongues through the holes to suck it down.

A boardman feeder is exactly what I use inside my TBH. Really easy to change out. No mess. No big invitation for robbing.

I just pour undiluted honey into the jar and it's ready to go.

I would like to do the same. I have a 2 gallon jar full of honey from last year. Would you just pour it into the Boardman jars as is and put it inside the hive on top of frames in an empty super? I am quite a bit North of you but as mild as it has been am thinking it may be better than a candy board right now. One of my four hives is very light and has not been as active over the past week of nice temperatures. I guess I'll try it out today and let you know how they take to it if I can get in a couple more nice days over next few weeks. This hive may not make it through a hard winter but if it is mild like last year I am hopeful.
    Thanks

I used my quatr jars i feed sugar water with. They are taking it good.

I would use extreme caution feeding hives honey. Bees are acutely sensitive to the smell of uncapped honey. If you feed at or in the hive it will draw bees from all over the neighborhood and is very likely to trigger a robbing frenzy.
    Also...it is very important that you know the source of your honey. Honey can carry spores from afb and that is not a plague you want to share.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

THIS was honey from my hives that had too much moisture in it and i could not get it out. so i am feeding the 4gal. to the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBee View Post
    THIS was honey from my hives that had too much moisture in it and i could not get it out. so i am feeding the 4gal. to the bees.
    That covers knowing the source....but won't help with robbing.
    Good luck.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

is robbing worse feeding honey than 2:1 sugar water or a sugar board in there hive?

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBee View Post
    is robbing worse feeding honey than 2:1 sugar water or a sugar board in there hive?
    yes