Hybrid View

Default feeding bees honey

i have ask a question like this before but did not get a good answer. i want to feed 2 gal. of honey to my bees. i have been putting some on plastic foundations laying flat on a table about 100 ft. from the hives. i would like to pot the entire bucket out for them. is there a way some of you have done this? do you put small holes in the bucket? and what does it drip on? i do not want to have it thick to where they will get stuck and die. does any one have pictures or a link of something like this. thanks

Default Re: feeding bees honey

best to use a bucket style feeder inside an empty box and under the hive cover(s) to prevent robbing. think boardman feeder on the inside of the hive.
    i save mayo jars for this or you could use a standard canning jar with small holes in the lid.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

you could do a search at the top of the page for "zip lock baggie feeder" many report success with this inside the hive(s) also.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

are you saying i can feed the honey just like feeding sugar water in a qt. jar? do the holes have to be biger since it is thicker?

Feed it just like sugar water.
    The holes don't have to be larger.
    I observe that my bees will stick their tongues through the holes to suck it down.

A boardman feeder is exactly what I use inside my TBH. Really easy to change out. No mess. No big invitation for robbing.

I just pour undiluted honey into the jar and it's ready to go.