Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Have access to 100 deeps with frames; need your thoughts

36K views 119 replies 32 participants last post by  westernbeekeeper 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I have come across a deal about an hour and a half away from me, where someone moved in to a property, and the lean-to shed had about 100 used deep hives bodies with frames and comb, all complete and in good condition. So, basically, he talked to me and said I could have them for free. I went through them and found no sign of foulbrood in what remaining comb there was, as mice have completely decimated most of the comb. So I'm thinking I will go and get all these supers, and I will pitch the comb and old Duragilt foundation, sterilize all frames and hive bodies, and then either keep them for expansion of my operation or sell them. There is a huge stack of telescoping covers and bottom boards that he said I may have also. What are your thoughts? How would you sterilize the boxes and frames? Thanks in advance.

#92 ·
How about the nails,staples, metal brackets, handles, rails, process malfunctions etc. and human error? Yes very reliable but not absolute. Mistakes do happen and I am speaking of medical products not bee equipment.

#97 ·
I have asked him, quite nicely in fact, but he figures that he would charge me $15-$20 per box after factoring in the oil, wax, propane, and labor. I can scorch for a lot cheaper than that, and I'm willing to risk it. I have also had assumed success doing it (scorching) in the past already, seeing I have bought smaller quantities of unused boxes from unknown sources, scorched them, and they've been in use a year or two and still are disease-free.

#102 ·
:update: (WITH PHOTOS!)

Here's an update:
Okay everyone, I have all the supers totally taken care of. Scraped, stripped, sterilized, and painted. Whew! Plenty of work; but in all, including labor, it cost me about $250 to get the boxes into good shape and ready for bees (minus frames). But WOW, is it good to have them all done and taken care of, and put inside, especially since we are forecasted for a couple inches of rain tomorrow. I have 91 deeps, 38 mediums, 3 shallows, and 1 jumbo in all. A few have frames, but the *big* majority do not. I did get (along with all of this old equipment) a dozen or so telescoping covers and a handful of bottom boards.
Here are some photos:

Here is the pile of frames:
Wood Tree Lumber Logging Trunk

A good frame with comb (not a lot of these):
Bee Wood Membrane-winged insect

A bad frame (not a lot of these either):
Wood Hardwood Lumber

An average frame (most are like this):
Wood

Here are the covers and bottom boards:
Wood Brick Floor Tile Hardwood

And the stack(s) of supers:
Wall Room Architecture Concrete Wood

A sterilized super:
Floor Wood Plywood Table Flooring

I may yet sort through the frames and save the good ones; I don't know yet. But thanks for your help and thoughts, everyone! It is appreciated more than you know.

#106 ·
:update: (WITH PHOTOS!)

Here's an update:
Okay everyone, I have all the supers totally taken care of. Scraped, stripped, sterilized, and painted. Whew! Plenty of work; but in all, including labor, it cost me about $250 to get the boxes into good shape and ready for bees (minus frames). But WOW, is it good to have them all done and taken care of, and put inside, especially since we are forecasted for a couple inches of rain tomorrow. I have 91 deeps, 38 mediums, 3 shallows, and 1 jumbo in all. A few have frames, but the *big* majority do not. I did get (along with all of this old equipment) a dozen or so telescoping covers and a handful of bottom boards.
Here are some photos:

Here is the pile of frames:
View attachment 3637

A good frame with comb (not a lot of these):
View attachment 3638

A bad frame (not a lot of these either):
View attachment 3639

An average frame (most are like this):
View attachment 3640

Here are the covers and bottom boards:
View attachment 3641

And the stack(s) of supers:
View attachment 3642

A sterilized super:
View attachment 3643

I may yet sort through the frames and save the good ones; I don't know yet. But thanks for your help and thoughts, everyone! It is appreciated more than you know.

Seen you got the comb look at 5:50 to 8:00 on this video
Part 1
http://youtu.be/05tCHtUyNHM

You may just like this one
Part 2
http://youtu.be/wyiaV222JoQ

I hope this help you out

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

#118 ·
i believe you approached the whole thing in a very reasonable way ben.

not finding any scale in the old comb was huge.

the bleaching and scorching were done well.

now, it's just a matter of careful inspections as you populate those hives.

good work!!

#120 ·
:update:

I was able to track all this old equipment back to the original owner. I called him and asked him about the history of this equipment: disease, etc. He said, "Why yes, there was AFB in 3 out of those 90 hives. I treated them and it went away; I'd reuse it all if I were you." But I don't want a big risk, so I will just use the boxes, covers, and bottom boards, but I will pitch/burn the frames. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.