Default What to do with excess burr comb

I bought a couple full blown hives from a local guy a couple months ago. One of the hives has 8 frames in the brood box instead of 10. He said he did this because there was burr comb and he didn't want to squash bees, so the frames were spaced out.

I don't mind leaving them for the winter, but next year I would like to have 10 frames in the box so I don't have to worry about squashing the queen when inspecting the hive next year. How do I need to go about getting 10 frames in the box? Is it even possible or do I need to start with new frames?

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: What to do with excess burr comb

Hello, You say full blown hives but are they a single box or a double ? If a double then most likley they will be in the upper box early in the spring when you do the first inspection. I would at that time take the empty frames in the lower box and use a bread knife and trim the comb down even with the frames and add in two more to make 10. Rotate that box to the new upper level and when they move up into it (2-4 weeks)and the lower box is empty(or mostly empty) then trim the comb in it and add frames.
    Or you can add a 10 frame box to the top and when they vacate a lower box remove it, you may end up with a 3 box hive for awhile but you will get them into new boxs/frames if thats what you want. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Default Re: What to do with excess burr comb

Quote Originally Posted by Bsweet View Post
    Hello, You say full blown hives but are they a single box or a double ? If a double then most likley they will be in the upper box early in the spring when you do the first inspection. I would at that time take the empty frames in the lower box and use a bread knife and trim the comb down even with the frames and add in two more to make 10. Rotate that box to the new upper level and when they move up into it (2-4 weeks)and the lower box is empty(or mostly empty) then trim the comb in it and add frames.
    Or you can add a 10 frame box to the top and when they vacate a lower box remove it, you may end up with a 3 box hive for awhile but you will get them into new boxs/frames if thats what you want. Jim
    Sort of an odd situation, there is a deep and two supers full of honey (for winter stores). So if they move up into the supers I could trim the comb down, thanks for the advice.