Default Looking at new yard

Looks like I might be able to get a three acer field hopefully will be able to plant sweetclover in it this spring.Got some questions for you folks.

1-Would you plant half in white sweet and the other half in yellow sweet clover or would you mix the seeds up and plant it that way?
    2-Will there be any flow from this field next summer and if not can I cut it for hay and it not hurt it for 2014 crop?
    3-How many hives should I set aside to maxamize production in this field in 2014?
    4- What month does sweetclove bloom?
    5-Thanks for your imput beforehand

Default Re: Looking at new yard

Well I will try to answer your questions based on my little experiance. I don't know for sure but I think both white and yellow sweet clover honey is very similar. Here in Colorado sweet clover will bloom starting about mid june and go until end of august. Sweet clover does not make real good hay it has big stems and is not very palatable for cattle. Sheep do extremely well on it. I don't think you will get anything on it the first year. Sweet clover is a bi annual. So the seed lays dormant almost for the first year and then takes off the second. Look at mixing some vetch or sanfoin with you sweet clover seed. Then next spring broadcast another round of sweet clover seed that way you will have sweet clover coming up every year. Vetch and sanfoin are both legumes and good cattle feed, plus they give nectar. So they would be good for the first year and then let sweet clover take over.

If you are looking for something that you can get hay as well as honey off of, I would plant alfalfa and mix a little alsike or dutch clover in with it. Let the alfalfa bloom then cut it. Let it bloom again and cut it. The sweet clover would be better for sheep or goats.

Default Re: Looking at new yard

thanks Bendriftin.Also do you know how many hives I would need for this three acer patch?
    Last edited by kenr; 11-01-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: adding content.