Thread: Training Apairy

Default Training Apairy

Our local beekeepers association is currently putting together a training apairy. We are needing information such as: what are some of the problems that we will face and do you have insurance for the training apairy. If there is anything else you can think of, please feel free to let us know. We apprecaite all the information you can provide.

Default Re: Training Apairy

I think that whether or not insurance is appropriate will depend on whose land your "training apiary" is located on. What does the property owner say?
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

If this is in the wrong place let me know.

I also would like information on this also you can email me at pom51@yahoo.com of call me @864 978 8982
    thanks

The land owners insurance may not cover. We are trying to find out if anyone who has a training apairy has coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashff7 View Post
    Our local beekeepers association is currently putting together a training apairy. We are needing information such as: what are some of the problems that we will face and do you have insurance for the training apairy. If there is anything else you can think of, please feel free to let us know. We apprecaite all the information you can provide.
    I too am very interested in this subject. Virginia has a new law about at participating in agricultural activities at your own risk or something like that...many of the wineries have the law posted at their entrances- I will have to dig around to find it- it comes out of agricultural tourism, so not sure it would even apply. What I do know is that the law has not been tested yet as far as I know.

I am more interested in how the training apiary will be used. Who will set it up Pay for start up and maintenance? Maintain and manage colonies? Harvest, etc. We have had a few hives in a "teaching apiary" for years, but have been seriously lacking in having any real significant teaching events at it- in part because only 1 or 2 people are in charge or have access to it- and it is located somewhere where free access is not a given, so that is something to consider.
    karla

You may want to check with the Botetourt Beekeepers Association. Mike (Founding and past president) works with the 4-H and they put a small apiary for the 4-H kids.

Puget Sound Beekeeper's Association also has a club apiary that we have educational/training work parties at twice a month fro March through September. I don't have the insurance information, but it might be worth an email to the treasurer. http://pugetsoundbees.org/contact/