Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Bee Weaver bees/calmness

trance your query depends on whether the VSH queen is mated or a virgin on the changes to the hive. Queens only make one mating flight and mate with 30 or more drones for their lifetime supply of sperm. So if you add a mated VSH queen she will not collect any BeeWeaver drone characteristics for any of her children. From what I have read on queen rearing you will never know what kind of drones she mated with, at least for the small apiaries. The large commercial queen rearing areas "flood" the area with their drones, but they are still at risk for picking up some random unknown drones. True or not I have read that queens tend to not mate with drones from their hive.
    I am not an expert, but have read one book on queen rearing and decided to leave it up to others. I now have 6 BeeWeaver populated hives and am very happy with them. I constantly walk around them, 2-3 feet away, and my only impacts are when I am in the return flight path. 6 Apr. '13 I installed 4 packages, pulled comb from 2 existing hives, and only got one sting on my thumb, no gloves. One install was into a friends TBH.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I was assuming that Bee Weaver must of had some hives out of the thousands they have didn't get AHB into them but again, assuming and no real proof. Maybe all their hives did get AHB influence... My bad for assuming actually.

I have 2 beeweaver hives. One will be 5 years old this year. Best "bought" bees I've had.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I was assuming that Bee Weaver must of had some hives out of the thousands they have didn't get AHB into them but again, assuming and no real proof. Maybe all their hives did get AHB influence... My bad for assuming actually.
    Listen to how Daniel Weaver describes their bees on YouTube, 2 parts, it is actually pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQhwc3Rt-g0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbCZOCyD-c
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I have 2 beeweaver hives. One will be 5 years old this year. Best "bought" bees I've had.
    Just curious if you have re-queened (assuming BeeWeaver queens) or if the hives have replaced their own queen? I am starting season 2 with my first 3 BeeWeaver hives (1=NUC, 2&3 are splits from 1 with 2 BeeWeaver mated queens purchased).
    Thank you for your time in advance.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I have bought there bees for 4 yrs. for a specific be yard. I usually blow thru my hives 15 minutes tops and never had a problem except 1 time I contacted Laura and she sent 3 to replace the 1 queen. I have had good experience with there strain so no complaints here.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmooretx View Post
    Just curious if you have re-queened (assuming BeeWeaver queens) or if the hives have replaced their own queen? I am starting season 2 with my first 3 BeeWeaver hives (1=NUC, 2&3 are splits from 1 with 2 BeeWeaver mated queens purchased).
    Thank you for your time in advance.
    I have not requeened. They have just replaced their own. I don’t do any treatments either.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Update, so far my Bweaver queens are the gentlest and hardest working bees I have.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123