Default Help with bee tree, Please.

Ok, here's my question about a tree I have posted on before. I hope to get some good advice here.

A while back I was having some timber cut to build some outbuildings and one of the trees had a large hive in it. When the tree fell it caught in a snag and the tree being a dead and decaying Poplar broke and the part with the hive landed on the ground with the entrance hole straight up. Advice attained here was to leave it till spring and protect the opening. Seems plausible to me.

Now here is the kicker: I hooked on to the tree top which is simply a pole about 16 feet long and started to pull it out of the brush so I could put some sort of roof over the hole and noticed the bees went crazy so I left it for them to calm down. Today I went back to inspect the hive and here is what I found.

The break went right thru the hive. Absolutely all of the hive is in the pole that I pulled out of the brush. When I got it so I could see the break I was surprised to see 4 or 5 large combs about 36 inches long hanging from the log about 2 inches from the ground. There is a cluster of bees about the size of a 3 gallon bucket clustered on the comb about 4 inches from the ground. The hive is completely open to the elements and to vermin.

The weather is still fairly warm and dry here so I thought I would cut off this log to about 48 inches long and put it in a box resembling a top bar hive for the winter. I also think this will allow me to insulate the bees and also feed them sugar or fondant. If they make it thru I will rehive them in the spring. They are beautiful golden honey bees and I hate for them to die.

I'm not sure if they have adequate stores as I can't see into the hive well enough to determine that.

Any opinions here as to my plans or better ideas? How should I feed them? I am open to any ideas that will save them. Thanks ,John Brewer

Default Re: Help with bee tree, Please.

At the very least the log should remain verticle so that the comb orientates as they had established it. Stand it up and wrap some black felt paper around the split log, provide them an opening and leave them be. It would have been helpful John if you would have attached a few pictures so that you could get a better response to your issue at hand. Its difficult to give the best advice without seeing whats going on. Maybe there is an experienced beekeeper in your area that could at least go take a look.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I am overwintering a bee tree this year. Stand it up if you can. I chopped the top off mine and built a small feeder hole too, and placed wooden wind breaks over the large cracks.

I am overwintering a bee tree. Came from 40 feet in the air, and is upright now. Seems to be ginning well...

Trying techniques that I doubt will work because I like to be right!

Since it has been on it's side for so long, I think you should leave it that way. They have already adjusted to the sideways orientation, you don't want to have to make them adjust back again.

I think the box is the best thing to do for them now. It is good that you can now know that they will be well insulated, be out of the rain/snow and be able to feed them during the winter.

Good luck with them!
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

John,
    Updates please.
    Cheers,
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland Beekeeper View Post
    John,
    Updates please.
    Cheers,
    Drew
    Thanks all for the info . Here is what happened.

November 1 I took a chain saw and cut the log just above the hive and the cut off as much of the broken and jagged edge as I could from below the nest hoping to stand it back up and wrap it. The minute I took a hold of the log it split in half long ways and the entire hive lay open. Some bees on each half. What to do, right?

I had built a top bar hive 48 inches long out of 1x10 poplar boards and had it ready so I picked up each half and placed them in the tbh box trying to get the to halves back together as good as possible. All the bees were in the log and none spilled except the ones swarming around me. The temp was about 62 F. I placed the top on the hive leaving a small stick under the lid for easy access back to the hive. Within minutes the bees had almost all returned to the hive. I figure I will rehive in the spring if they live. At least I will have the comb if not the bees. I am going to try feeding them sugar cake as I saw posted on gardenfork.tv with the lemongrass and spearmint oil. Also, will make grease patties for mites. Any suggestions on how to feed these girls? Thanks, John

Here is a link for a bee club in Salem Indiana: http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/3349081796.html
    I haven't been to any meetings yet, but plan to in the spring.