Default Have an offer hard to refuse, I think, help please

Well while perusing Craigslist I found an ad for a single deep hive $150 I contacted and waiting for a response. The problem is this will be my first hive and it has been years since I have dealt with bees. I really want some have some reservations about a single deep hive wintering OK here in Iowa. most everyone I know have at least two deeps and a med honey super Any help please thanks

Default Re: Have an offer hard to refuse, I think, help please

If it was $150 in April, it might be worth considering. But in November in Iowa, a single deep hive for a newbie, and his only hive, is overpriced and asking for disappointment.

I suggest waiting a few months, and keeping your eyes open for better opportunities. Add a Bookmark each time you find a promising potential vendor. Read Beesource in the interim, over the next couple of months. Then as you gain more knowledge, go back and re-evaluate each of those bookmarks you made.

If you have woodworking equipment, you could consider making some hive components yourself over the winter. (No, you can't weld them up! ) That would leave you more cash to spend on the bees themselves. Try to find a way to start with two hives, rather than one.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I agree.

If you're excited now, focus it on research or construction of hives. Also starting with 2 is a much better idea than keeping a lone hive.

I suggest offering him $75 closer to what the equipment might be worth. If he gets the colony through the winter then you can offer him 150. With Craigslist it is hard to tell if the person is trying to rip you off or how serious they are about selling. I feel if he comes down to 75 he is not trying to rip you off.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

On the other hand many people don't like to be low balled and local beekeeping friends are important.

Thank you all, I admit if this was march I would be all over it, but you guy's are right wintering would be problematic thanks, any ideas on how i might make it work if i can talk him down in price. thanks again

Wait until spring.
    I have had people call me to buy bees now...newbies. I let them know that i will sell to them if their heart is set,however, I would prefer in the spring when I can take the losses not them. Once i explain why, most have said they would call me in the spring

Based on what you've said, I do not think this is the hive for you. Of course you might get creative with the terms of sale, say $150 IF the colony makes it through the winter and $25 (or whatever the woodenware and drawn comb are worth to you) if the hive does not survive.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I don't know much about how to over winter a 1 deep hive in Iowa.

Another idea, call him up and see if you can give him a hand for the rest of the year, you'll get to keep bees, gain experience and possibly get a good deal on hives from him come spring.

thank you, I know that the newbee zeal can be hard to overcome

Thanks for the input , I bthink i will wait yil spring and start there safer bet and less disappointment upfront for me and the wife will hopefully lead to more enthusiasm for the bees in the future, thanks everyone

I think that would be a wise choice as well. Do lots of reading on here of the "new" pests and obstacles that bees and beekeepers are going through these days, do lots of searches and jot down lots of notes, that way you may have the answer if a problem arises instead of posting the emergency on here and waiting nervously for the first response to come in..............like I did my first year! LOL
    Coyote Creek Bees

Don't suppress you zeal, redirect it constructively. The last thing you want to do is have it return at time when another less than optimal decision awaits.