Default Ventilation with covered inner?

I just wintered my hives. Sad, but happy they are all bundled up for the winter. I wrapped them in 15lb. tar paper, stapled tight. I put an inch and a half of insulation in the telescoping cover. I also took another beesourcer's advice and covered the hole in the center of my wooden inner cover(used a wooden shim) to keep the bees from crawling through and possibly eating/chewing the pink insulation. A 4 inch tall spacer box to "house" 7lbs. of feed sugar). I have a 2 inch wide notch(facing down) in the front of the inner cover. A reducer with a 3/4 inch entrance in front. A open screened bottom board.

My question is. Will covering the opening in the center of the inner cover prevent the insulation from doing one of it's jobs (collecting and holding moisture away from the bees)? I am concerned that by covering the inner hole that the condensation will build up on the underside of the inner cover and not on the insulation under the outer cover. Thanks, juzzerbee

Default Re: Ventilation with covered inner?

Cover the benter hole of the inner cover with 1/8 screem. Any moisture will condense at the top will be on the styrofoam. Having said that, any excess moisture will more likley condense on the side walls as they will be colder than the top.

A piece of suspended ceiling board on the bee side of the styrofoam also works well to absorb moisture and keep bees away from the styrofoam.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

The insulation board will keep much, if not all, of the condensation from forming in the first place. Because of it's insulative qualities, there will be no cold surface next to the warm, humid air in the hive.

I also use foam insulation on top. When I install it where the bees can get to it, they will sometimes chew into it, and other times not. You can put the inner cover vent notch down, with the foam on top, and cover the center hole with duct tape so they can't get to the foam. It works well for me.

Richard

Is a notched inner cover placed down, with a 1 inch open reducer in front, and an open screened bottom board good for a flow of ventilation through the hive during the winter? I am concerned that although I have openings, it might not be enough to get a flow of ventilation. I do have the telescoping cover pulled forward from the notched inner cover to make sure the opening is not blocked. Thanks. juzzerbee

Quote Originally Posted by juzzerbee View Post
    Is a notched inner cover placed down, with a 1 inch open reducer in front, and an open screened bottom board good for a flow of ventilation through the hive during the winter? I am concerned that although I have openings, it might not be enough to get a flow of ventilation. I do have the telescoping cover pulled forward from the notched inner cover to make sure the opening is not blocked. Thanks. juzzerbee
    That is exactly what I do, with the exception that I add a 1" foam board over the inner cover, or sometimes over the telescoping cover. I do have some hives on solid bottoms like this as well. The foam insulation will keep condensation from forming at the top of the hive and then dripping on the cluster. You don't want them to have too much air, just slow movement out of the hive at the top notch. I never see condensation in the tops of the hives when they are treated like this.