Hybrid View

Default Sugar syrup feeder

As the hives available here have a small bee entrance opening, I tried a few open feeders, but see bees getting drowned. I tried something different, a plastic sheet (ziploc cover) with holes floating on sugar syrup in a pot. The bees can sit on top of the sheet and drink, but needs to be perfected as there is still gaps when the sheet goes down. I am unable to attach pictures here...the icon doesn't seem to work.

Default Re: Sugar syrup feeder

For open feeding I have not found anything that will beat the old hog feeder troughs. I use several of them each year. Just be careful to not feed more than they can take, at any one trough, during daylight hours, and there will be virtually no drowned bees. The bees that get in the syrup will be licked clean as soon as the syrup is gone. I normally place about one gallon in each feeder, they will take it by about 3PM and before dark all the bees will be gone. The troughs are made of 1 X 12, and are about 20 inches long.

Also I have it elevated about three feet of the ground so they can take off heavy. If you try this system, (and they are easy to build) pour the syrup from the end, so you do not get syrup on the side boards. If you pour from the sides the bees will get stuck tracking through the syrup.

If anyone is interested, i can take a photo of the feeders now, but, it has been too cool lately to feed. If we get a warm day, I will take a photo to show how it works.

cchoganjr

Thank you. Please post a pic...I will upload one when this works.

I would be interested in seeing what it looks like too.
    Thanks
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Another idea. Scroll down a couple of photos to see how it is made.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...mmunity-feeder
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Another idea. Scroll down a couple of photos to see how it is made.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...mmunity-feeder
    That is a pretty easy one to build. FBM does that type too, but your pictures show it better.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a