Hybrid View

Sad SHB in CA? You bet your hiney!

Went to remove the the two remaining supers from my hives in town to feed what honey was in them to the bees in the country and upon removing them and shaking the bees off the frames I discovered at least 20+ hive beetles in each super!

I have never seen a SHB in any of my country hives, period. None of the combs were slimed and I didn't see any larva from WM or SHB.

Here are the conditions of the town hives:
    Mostly shaded, loose soil under hive stand with Ivy and other vegatation surrounding the area.

I'm thinking hard about moving the town hives out to the country where they would be in direct sun and hard packed clay/gravel terrain.

What do you guys suggest that have to deal with this issue?

Ps- both town hives are really strong right now, so no problem with populations there.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: SHB in CA? You bet your hiney!

I've found a few now here in Socal.

Personaly I have only had to deal with them last 2 years and they were way worst this year,I dont think it matters since they fly,i think there just something everyone will deal with everywhere eventually.

They're around, I killed 4 this year. I wouldn't worry about them too much unless your hives become weak.

Can't you just treat the ground with diotomacious earth to slow them down?

I used some for ants, they just walk all over it after awhile. Depends on moisture too as it will absorb it and cake up quickly or if you get light showers or fog frequently you would have to re-apply often. It only slows down larvae going to pupate, if you have lots of adults coming in, it won't make any difference.