Hybrid View

Default Hint from universe? Hives being robbed, then a bear, then a hurricane, now robbing

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Hives (we have 2) were light, then they started getting robbed, so we upped the feeding and closed down the entrance. Got that stopped. Had strapped the hives in prep for hurricane.

That night a bear came through and flipped them both all the way over onto their tops. DH came home and bear fled. We flipped them back over (it was dark) and straightened them back out as much as possible. Moved them inside the backyard and strapped them to the fence (for storm and bear prep).

NOW they are being robbed again. Do I open them up and see about consolidating them? hope for the best? It's a free for all out there....I have NO IDEA what to do at this point. I feel like just hoping for the best and not dealing with it.

If the one hive is as bad off as I think it is, should we make it into a nuc (if the queen is still alive?) I hate to off a perfectly good queen...

UGH. Advice please. We are new beekeepers...Actually at this point, I'd be more inclined to say we are bee havers at best...and yuck.

Thank you!

Kelly

Thumbs Up Re: Hint from universe? Hives being robbed, then a bear, then a hurricane, now robbin

Read this article on robbing and how to prevent it. You may find something to save your hives. I don't agree with the last recommendation in that article: I do not recommend opening adjacent hives hoping that will stop the robbing. Good luck
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Default Re: Hint from universe? Hives being robbed, then a bear, then a hurricane, now robbin

Horrible
    So much is happening in short period of time... as new beekeeper I do understand your frustration. But what I learned from my just 1 year with bees is that the problem will be solved (by bees) sooner or later... not necessary in the way how you would like, but it will be solved...

As for now, I am not in position to give you expert advise, but as a beginner with limited understanding of bees, I would completely shut all entrances (make sure there is some ventilation) at least for 24 hours. Since hurricane is coming, it would be safer for bees to spend some time inside. Hopefully hurricane discourage robbers... If not, you may need to make literally 2-bees entrance and feed them syrup from the TOP feeder very carefully - do not spill syrup anywhere. For such purpose, I have an inner cover board with round hole to accommodate a pint jar with syrup (upside down, small holes in the lid). I would cover the jar with additional empty box with top - no sweet stuff exposed to outside! Good luck and keep us posted! Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

Default Re: Hint from universe? Hives being robbed, then a bear, then a hurricane, now robbin

I have been having robbing of a weak hive AND one strong hive. I just shut them up tight and made one small (3/8 inch ) entry. Even now there is occasionally some wrestling/fighting at that entry. But the girls are on guard and challenge every bee coming in. There is plenty of Goldenrod here so lack of nectar/pollen sources shouldn't be causing this robbing???
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I am sorry to hear your troubles. I had robbing problems of a big hive and found great advice on this forum. In my situation I put a top feeder on the hive with water and put some pollen patty in the hive. I then shut it up completely, leaving the screened bottom open. I left them in there for 4 days. Luckily I caught it early and they still have decent honey stores. While they were in 'lock down' I closed down the entrances to all my other hives to about 1 bee space to prevent the robbers switching to another hive. So far this seems to have worked... Good luck!

Thumbs Up Re: Hint from universe? Hives being robbed, then a bear, then a hurricane, now robbin

Kelly, what is the latest on your hives ?
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)