Default Frankinstorm survivors?

First off...my best wishes to those of you in the NE going thru this storm!

How are you fairing and how are your girls handling this? What did you do for damage control before the storm hit and what is happening now during it?

My prayers are in full force for you all.

Bobby

Default Re: Frankinstorm survivors?

Bricks and more bricks. The weight did the job pretty well. Even the bees on the roof of the building where I work came through fine!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

All the home hives made it fine with added weight on the tops, just got back from an out location that had one top and inner cover blow off out of six, the bees were still home so I hope they aren't so pissed as to move out in the next day or two. My own family "hive" is still without grid power (have a gen.), and my in-laws are visiting from CA... I hope that gets fixed soon before that queen gets pissed and kicks this drone out

We had gusts of 65mph+ last night and thankfully my four hives are still intact.
    USDA Zone 5B

Sandy wasn't the girl everyone thought she was going to be (around here anyway), but at 11:30pm she sounded pretty impressive so I went out to my hives to make sure they were holding together. Mine are in a pretty thick hedgerow that runs north/south and the wind was out of the north so I think they were pretty well protected. I put a big log on top of them anyway (besides the small brick that was already there). I also added an awning (board leaned up in front of the opening) to keep the rain from driving in.

How fussy are you about making sure your hives are tipped forward? I don't want water pooling and rolling in the entrance, but maybe it's not that big of a deal. Top ventilation is probably more important, eh?

I have 4 hives in an area that flooded - two had water up to the bottom boards. The hive stands are staked into the ground and hives strapped to their stands. Water is still too deep to check them, but have my fingers crossed that they will be OK. At least we have power and roof is still on the house.

I will say that I have received report of one good friend from another forum that did have severe damage to their home and wood shop. They are a woodworker so that is like hearing one of our members lost all their bees.

For those of you in those areas that did get hit hard. my prayers continue to be with you. I am also grateful that this storm was not all it was being reported to be.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TriJim View Post
    I have 4 hives in an area that flooded - two had water up to the bottom boards. The hive stands are staked into the ground and hives strapped to their stands. Water is still too deep to check them, but have my fingers crossed that they will be OK. At least we have power and roof is still on the house.
    Do the hives have top entrances so the bees can escape if the water gets too high and covers the bottom entrance?

Ed

My hives came through the storm ok, people just to the south of me in West Virginia got hit pretty hard, however I was spared the worst of it. My prayers go out to those who took the brunt of the storm.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

All 30 hive came through fine.

Last year during hurrcane Irene I added ground anchors and used ratchet straps. Works like a charm.

New hive that had no anchors, I added 2 cement blocks on top.

We only had 50-60 mph winds here and they only lasted about 12-16 hours or so.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

my house was more a problem...no power for a couple of days. Hives are fine in all yards. no problems with them. Windy here with many trees down. worried about the folks in NY City and New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Do the hives have top entrances so the bees can escape if the water gets too high and covers the bottom entrance?

Ed
    Ed - thanks for asking. I always provide top entrances, but funny that some hives use them and others don't.

The water finally receded and I checked the hives yesterday. The wood bridge I use to enter the area floated downstream although the concrete footings are still there. The hive stands and hives are still intact. The two lowest hives had an inch of water above the level of the bottom board. The hives were in 3 mediums so bees should have had room in upper hive bodies. Two hives on higher stands stayed out of the water. It has remained overcast and cold so I can't assess overall health, yet. The weatherman predicts sun and 50s this weekend so I'll have to see if they are flying.