Default Re: News Report - Hiker dies after "bee attack"

Hiker dies after bee attack in Phoenix-area canyon
    Associated Press – 9 hrs agoEmailShareShare0PrintPHOENIX (AP) — A hiker died Monday after he was attacked by a swarm of bees and fell about 150 feet off a cliff at a popular recreation area in Phoenix, authorities said.

Phoenix Fire Department officials say the man was pronounced dead at the scene in the Echo Canyon area of Camelback Mountain.

Two other hikers were airlifted out after each was stung about 300 times. Paramedics said both men were hospitalized in serious but stable condition and expected to recover.

Fire officials said the three men were attacked by bees about 3:45 p.m. on a trail near Ice Box Canyon. The two survivors hid in a small crevice to avoid the swarm until rescuers arrived.

Some of the rescue workers wore white protective suits to keep them from also being stung.

The names and ages of the hikers weren't immediately released.

I know alot of the bees in Arizona are more aggressive but I wonder what took place here. Did they come upon a swarm and freak out? Did they see an open colony and harass them first? Or were they walking along minding their own business and the bees attacked like in the horror movies?

Quote Originally Posted by d-amick View Post
    Did they see an open colony and harass them first?
    ...and would they admit they did? As of now they can blame the bees.

I heard one report this morning that said they were checking to see if the hiker died from the stings or from the 150 foot fall? Duh!....did the bees kill him and push him off the cliff?

I don't think it was the bees that killed the hiker….........probably the sudden stop.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Are we ssuming that these were really bees?...

There are song lyrics, BeeGhost:

"...falling feels like flying...........for a little while."

Does anyone know if yellow jackets live in colonies as large as bee hives? Even if not, can't they sting as often as they want without dying?

Ya I would say that there's a lot of potential for misinformation here. People use the word swarm without actually knowing what a swarm is. People assume every sting is from a honey bee. I doubt that they actually encountered a swarm of bees. If this was a honey bee incident it is likely to be a AHB issue. Also how did they manage to hide in a crevice from bees? As if the bees were to big to get in. Still trying to figure that one out.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Bush 84: I interpreted it to mean that they ran and hid, and the bees considered them out of sight, out of mind.

Something else interesting: Camelback Mountain has people climbing and hiking on it all day every day. As with all "bee" attacks, this brings up a lot of questions. If any of the hikers did something stupid, I wonder if they will admit to it. I'm noticing that we rarely get the "backstory" on such events.

Quote Originally Posted by SRBrooks View Post
    Does anyone know if yellow jackets live in colonies as large as bee hives? Even if not, can't they sting as often as they want without dying?
    Hornets look like bees and can live in large colonies. They sting multiple times without dying and the sting is reportedly a lot more painful.

Taydeko

I can attest to a hornet's ability to sting multiple times and I can assure you that their sting hurts more then just about any other sting I have had!