Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This poor hive

Sad This poor hive

You might remember the install from hell, well this turned into the summer of hell! Come 7/4 I had a ATV accident where I got crushed & while recouping I failed to think about my Bees ENOUGH. We got a drought in August that never ended. I was cocky because there is so much water on my property that I forgot FOOD! I forgot the drought meant no late nectar! Sigh it was october before I realized my error and started feeding the hive. i have a 42" hive that the bees only occupy 1/2 & the back comb is empty. I am thinking I do not have enough honey stores for our harsh winter. we have already had a cold snap where a bunch of bees died.

any thoughts?

Default Re: This poor hive

It's late in the season and too cold for syrup feeding so your best bet is going to be placing dry sugar on top of the bars and insulate the outside and top of the hive, then hope for the best.
    Last edited by WWW; 10-30-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

It sounds like you have a top bar hive? If so reduce the area with the follower board or if it's a box hive take off the supers and reduce the area for them and feed feed feed make candy and put over the top bars.

Empty comb can be filled with syrup or HFCS
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Biz Bee Co View Post
    make candy and put over the top bars.
    Maybe a silly question, how exactly is this done?

Can anyone suggest a better book than the dummies book, which is good but limited. Thanks.

Do a search for candy boards on here or check out http://www.honeybeesuite.com/how-to-...d-candy-boards

A guy posted just yesterday (Thread "Feeding pollen patties to top bar hives" on Bee Forum board) about how he makes a u-shaped basket out of chickenwire stapled to a top bar and slips his candy in that way. It sounded like an excellent way to put candy in a TBH.

Sad Re: This poor hive

My top bar did not come with a follower board, I made a hasty one in spring but it does not seal against the hive. I'm gonna make one outta 3" blue board. I have insulated the roof and I am going to wrap the hive in foam insulation(lying around) and plastic.

Thanks for the candy recipe! The one i have has had varying results none great.

I have fed dry sugar, they didn't eat as much sugar as they drink in syrup; candy going in today.

The entrance to the hive is filled with dead bees already, this looks bad. once this candy goes in, I will have to wait until spring; but i am not optimistic.

I worked so hard on this hive when it arrived and I doubt I can come up with enough money for new bees this spring. Well, live and learn, but I need to redesign the TBH if this hive dies & for any future hives. It was an experiment to see if bees could live up here at 7000ft on natural forage, I still don't know as the weather was extreme to start a hive this past year.

I have two follower boards that came with my purchased hive, one solid one with a hole. Both look to fit tight to the sides of the hive, but through my observation window I spotted a SHB larvae hiding from the bees between the side of the follower and the glass. When I needed to make a new follower that gave the bees feeder access instead of a hole I cut it to have beespace on the sides and bottom. The bees seem to be fine with it and it can no longer be a pest haven. I don't want to give SHB any extra places to hide from my bees.

I hope that candy works out for you. I found the link to that recipe on an old thread but haven't tried it yet. I got my bees to take enough bee tea that they should be fine until spring. If they make it through winter I will add some in the early spring to get them to brood up (because of the added protein).

Thanks that is helpful! Yes, I am leaving the protein powder out until spring feeding, they don't need more bees to feed.

What is SHB?

No problem! SHB = Small Hive Beetle

I have heard that bees will chew up styrofoam- but if you find one of those corrugated plastic election signs and us it to armor the bee side of your follower you should be fine.

While you are shivering in the Montana winter you can console yourself by saying- well at least small hive beetles will never come this far north.
    Bill

Funny you mention that, my follower, not a tight fit, is made out of sign board. this year it will have to wait, but next year I M THINKING blue board sandwiched w/sign board for winter. For now I am putting some foam(lying around) in a garbage bag stuffed into the roof, plus the space age insulation already on the roof, then wrapping the hive in foam inside plastic and waiting until spring

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonner View Post
    My top bar did not come with a follower board, I made a hasty one in spring but it does not seal against the hive
    You can seal that follower board by placing a hessian cloth or any other cloth over it so it overlaps the sides. I have the same problem and fixed it like this;
    http://cheguebeeapiary.blogspot.se/2...sing-bits.html

Or in case you need a new divider you can make on out of hessian cloth and a top bar like shown in this round hive of mine;
    http://cheguebeeapiary.blogspot.se/2...-bar-hive.html

interesting, I wonder what that cloth is called in usa, i have never heard that name. I am gonna try that next year, I am leaving them alone right now.

Cool Re: This poor hive

The bees did not drink the syrup or eat the dry sugar. so took the syrup out, put candy patty under combs and they r on their own till spring. I guess they have more honey then I thought.

Hope they make it!

I ended up making a candy "bar" ;D for one of my hives and then the candy in the hardware cloth pouch for the other. We have had a lot of over fifty degree days and I got scared they would go through their stores too fast. I slipped the candy in quickly Sunday while the temp was over 50. I checked on the bees in the hive with the observation window later and they were checking their new stores out. Both the bar mould and the pouch seemed to work well. The bar was fussier because I had to make the mould but it gave them a lot more candy. The pouch was quick and will be easier to refill and will work with patties as well. Both keep it off the bottom board and therefore allow for fewer pests to hide and multiply.

I think that cloth is called Burlap in US

Take pics of the hardware cloth bar when u get a chance I will make one up for spring

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonner View Post
    Take pics of the hardware cloth bar when u get a chance I will make one up for spring
    Will Do. It might be a while, I'll have to wait for the first warm enough day that I am home or I will take pictures of the other bar and mould I have. I thought of it too late but I should have taken pictures when I made them or before I put them in the hives.

Well, that would be plenty before it is warm enough up here! I may be able to open the hive in may or june