Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Thinking about keeping bees...looking for advice.

I have been looking at the investment aspect of bee keeping. I am a person that has learned if I buy cheap stuff I end up going back and rebuying what I really wanted in the first place, which of course is more expensive and superior quality. SO, now I just wait and buy what want when I can afford it. I did some research on our Bee Association and they have some REALLY great things going on! Of course I am sure you have to pay an annual membership due or something and I am not sure how much it costs. They own equipment to process the honey that you can rent for $25.00. If they have bees available they will give a new member a startup package of bees....temperment would be unknown to me as they are offered as a gift.
    I am not paticularly worried about myself getting stung a couple of times. I am most worried about my kids who also pick bees up out of the pool so I think they would be OK. If a bee lands on them they don't flip out and start swatting it they just let it sit until the bee flys off. I am not afraid of bees so they have learned from me. I was most concerned about the kids playing and getting too close to the hive and the bees attacking with multiple stings. I am going to built a large planting bed around the hive and make that area off limits. If they disregard my warning the bees will punish the misbehavior for me! Now visiting children are another story. I don't know how they would behave around bees. I think speaking to visitors about staying away from the hive and calm behavior will be necessary. If a visiting child was stung multiple times I would feel responsible. Are there legal consequences? I have heard yes and no.....so I am confused about that. There is ALOT for me learn! Keeping bees is pretty confusing and complicated to me. I am hoping going to the Bee Association meeting will help. Thank You all for the great information, I appreciate the help!

Bees cost /money /time/you must learn alot and have hands on and you will get stung and i might add bee's get pisser as the hive grows. And its best to have at least 3 hives so if things {and they will} go wrong you can fix them and then there's swarms thats a whole new thing to learn about.
    There's just so much to learn if your not doing it for money or out of love for honeybee's i'm not sure you'll like it good luck and yes the kid probably will get stung i'm on 12 acers and my whole famliy has been stung sometime this year.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

You should consider a different strain of bees. Im on 3 acres with 40 colonies out back and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    and i might add bee's get pisser as the hive grows. And its best to have at least 3 hives so if things {and they will} go wrong you can fix them
    My experience is that a single hive does not get pisser as they grow and having more than one hive is harder to manage than a single hive. Is there a greater risk of loosing a hive when you only have one? Yes, probably. But having more than one, side by side complicates the management for sure. A purchased queen is a lousy 20 bucks. Millions of people burn that up smoking cigarettes every two days. Life is a risk.
    Last edited by Acebird; 10-31-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: I said it wrong thanks BeeGhost
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Having 2 colonies allows you to compare the two for good and bad. If a new beekeeper has a 20 dollar lousy queen and only has 1 hive they may never know what a good 20 dollar queen in a colony should look like. They also may question why they lost their colony just before winter without realizing on their own what the most likely reason being that 20 dollar junk of a queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    My experience is that a single hive does not get pisser as they grow and having more than one hive is harder to manage than multiple hives. Is there a greater risk of loosing a hive when you only have one? Yes, probably. But having more than one, side by side complicates the management for sure. A purchased queen is a lousy 20 bucks.
    Most responsible, knowledgable beekeepers advocate starting with at least two hives.
    How many hives should a beginning beekeeper start with?

The standard answer is two. I'll say two to four. Less than two and you don't have resources to resolve typical beekeeping issues like queenlessness, suspected queenlessness, laying workers etc. More than four is a bit much for a beginning beekeeper to keep up with.much for a beginning beekeeper to keep up with.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm
    " .... a lousy 20 bucks." Sometimes my $20 bills are wrinkled, or dirty, but none of them are lousy. I treasure each one. Anyone familiar with the expression, "He's got more money than brains?"

Just try to get a queen to your beeyard for $20, lousy or otherwise. You will discover that it can't be done. Shipping will be a minimum of another $20, and likely more. Even if you are fortunate enough to be able to pick up a relatively local queen, there are costs involved in that trip.

And I don't have a link available at the moment, but a review of Beesource posts over time will show you that newly hived bees are generally quite docile, as they have no brood or honey to protect. But as winter approaches, with stored honey and brood, hives are often more defensive about having their hives opened.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    But as winter approaches, with stored honey and brood, hives are often more defensive about having their hives opened.
    That is not my experience when I only had one hive. As a newbie, I opened the hive more often than I do now and I never got stung until I had multiple hives. I don't smoke so I got hundreds to burn on what ever I want. The thing is I don't want much so it just keeps piling up.
    Brian Cardinal

I would not be doing any of it for money. I just enjoy producing food etc. myself. I grow a garden and will be growing an orchard, keep chickens for eggs and have thought about raising some meat birds for butcher but have not committed to that yet as i am not sure i can carry out the butchering part. I do have an admiration for bees. I would enjoy packaging honey for gifts to family and making goods out of the wax. I am a homemaker so contributing fulfills my desire to be productive and I get a satisfaction out of doing it myself. There is nothing like making breakfast and feeding my family with the eggs from the chickens I raised from babies and care for each day. I would get something different from it than money. If there was a huge surplus I could sell it but that would not be my primary purpose. I am still heavily in the learning and research stages. I appreciate all the candid advice. I agree I need to think this through before committing to it. I will let yall know what comes of it. Thank You for all the input!
    Last edited by gg706; 10-31-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    My experience is that a single hive does not get pisser as they grow and having more than one hive is harder to manage than multiple hives.
    Having MORE than ONE hive is harder to manage than MULTIPLE hives..........isn't more than one multiple?

You can have one hive and it can be a stinging machine, or you can have 50 and have no problems, lots of factors can determine the attitude of the bees.

Having multiple hives is like having multiple kids, the first one is a tough adjustment but after that it doesn't get harder, just takes a little more time, however having multiple hives gives a beekeeper lots of advantages over someone with one hive, like a donor frame of brood to a weak hive, a frame of eggs to a queen less hive, comparisons as to what a healthy hive should look like and above all, if you lose a hive it's not your only one. Plus if you are new you can alternate days/weeks to go through hives to learn more without risk of bothering a single hive to much.

I think I will shoot for 2 hives to start off with. I would have to learn how to repopulate a failing hive but at least it would possible if 1 hive was doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    Having multiple hives is like having multiple kids, the first one is a tough adjustment but after that it doesn't get harder,
    Again, not my experience. Having one is a small adjustment. Having two is a rude awakening. Having more than two becomes old hat. It is the jump from one to two that you need four eyes out your head and maybe a piece of rope.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by gg706 View Post
    I am concerned about my kids getting stung but I am paticular concerned about a visiting child being stung and having an allergic reaction. Not just the financial consequences but the issue of someones child being injured or worse while in my care. I know this is a possibility anyway...but I would feel VERY responsible purposely having a hive on my property.
    Go talk to the parents of the kids that hang around your house, now, not after you get bees. Tell them what you are thinking about doing and get their input. They may want to participate, especially if you can talk sensibly about the wonders of the honeybee.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

I had bees in my yard in town all the time my kids were growing up. Only one of them was ever stung. Stepped on one barefoot. When I was growing up we had NO hives in the backyard and I stepped on them barefoot all the time... I think my kids were more aware of them. Now I have grandkids growing up with 20 to 40 hives in the backyard. I don't think any of them has been stung outside. One stepped on a bee on the floor when I was extracting once. Once a bee in the house crawled up one of their sleeves and before I could get him to calm down he squashed the bee and got stung. All of them have been stung more times by yellow jackets and paper wasps...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF