Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failure

Default Re: Failure

Apple and pear meads (cysers) are very tasty
    I have made cyser with Whole Food's organic apple juice that was very good. The fermenter was in a cool (or cold) area and it bubbled away slowly for a few months...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Gus979 View Post
    Hi

Sooooo..... My very first foray into making alcoholic beverages began with mead on the 18th of this month. Since then I have also brewed 2 batches of beer. I really don't think I "got" the basics of making until my last batch.

I hate to say it, but I think I reaaaallly messed up my batch of mead. Did a taste test and it tasted VERY medicine-e. It might be because I fed it far more nutrients than needed, or the fact that I may have added far more DAP than needed....or the fact that I didn't understand 101 and pretty much sanitized nothing that the mead is in contact with.

I'm thinking this batch is a failure. Even with age I don't think it will live up to its potential had I done it correctly. It's also important that I brew an awesome batch of mead, because I'm trying to prove to prove to my family that it can be just as good as wine. This is despite the fact that I haven't had any (only 1 glass) mead that I like yet. I'm kind of a stubborn person like that.

I'm thinking of starting over. This time diligently following the traditionalmead.com guide to make an excellent off-dry mead. I know its a bit of a crime to throw in the towel so early but it really did not taste good.

What are your thoughts? Is it worth it to continue? ...I think I have a sore throat from that spoonful...
    I have made several batches of mead both dry and sweet. They all taste terrible for more than a year but then get amazingly better after than. I use mild honey (mostly clover) and when fully matured they have a taste similar ot lemonade with a very fragarant floral bouquet. It is one of our most popular wines. I will say nothing like what I have bought from commercial sources. I do however make a very heavy must using a lot of honey about 4lb/gal I would say just be patient and try tasting your Mead again in 6 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    You will need to follow the receipe to the T, if you want it to be good, and definetly sanitize your stuff. Thats like cooking without washing your hands. If you started the mead on the 18th, it is way to early to be tasting. I usually let mine go for at least a year (racking it in the process), before the pooring begins. Don't give up, and don't throw your first batch away. Give it time,,
    Excatly! I missed that it had been made on the 18th before I replied. A year is how long we wait before trying anything more than a taste as we rack ours. For us, the longer we wait the better t gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus979 View Post
    Hi

I hate to say it, but I think I reaaaallly messed up my batch of mead. Did a taste test and it tasted VERY medicine-e. It might be because I fed it far more nutrients than needed, or the fact that I may have added far more DAP than needed....or the fact that I didn't understand 101 and pretty much sanitized nothing that the mead is in contact with.

I'm thinking this batch is a failure.
    Mead must age for at least 9 months before it become drinkable, unlike beer which is ready much sooner.

Give your mead a year and revisit it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12