Default hive wont take syrup

been feeding all my hives with mann lakes pro health and treating for nosema. all the hives have been taking in the syrup as fast as i give it to them, with the exception of one hive. the hive was a nuc i started this spring with a queen cell and ended up being one of my best hives giving me 4 suppers of honey. just before i began feeding i could tell they where short on their honey stores, which i couldnt understand. so i knew i would need to feed them more than the other hives, but they just wont take much syrup in.....why? seems like they would want or need to take it in. any thoughts on why they wont?

Default Re: hive wont take syrup

They won't take it if the syrup is too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by bnolan View Post
    the hive was a nuc i started this spring with a queen cell and ended up being one of my best hives giving me 4 suppers of honey. just before i began feeding i could tell they where short on their honey stores, which i couldnt understand. so i knew i would need to feed them more than the other hives, but they just wont take much syrup in.....why? seems like they would want or need to take it in. any thoughts on why they wont?
    What do you mean you don't understand why they are short? There was 4 suppers of honey. Are they short because you took to much of their honey? Perhaps they are mad at you for taking their honey and trying to make them eat syrup?

You might have queen issues with this one. Check it out if weather permits.

I had one hive that wouldn't take syrup from my Mann Lake top feeder, so I switched that hive to a 1 gallon pail feeder on top of the inner cover, surrounded by a super. They are now taking about 1 gallon per week. Give that a try.