Default Bee yard in Colorado

Does anyone know of a bee yard for sale in Colorado? For purchase in 2013.
    If we were as smart as bees, we wouldn't have voted for Obama

Default Re: Bee yard in Colorado

I could probably find you one but it would be a long way from mesa county

Boon,

I'm in El Paso County so too far away to be of much help, but you are close to Grand Junction and I know that there is a lot of beekeeping and beekeepers in that area. Why not run an add in the local paper or one of the "freebe" weekly blabbs. Actually from your post I'm not sure if you are looking for a place to locate your own colonies or if you are looking to purchace both colonies and the location.

One thing that you might consider is joining the Colorado State Beekeepers Association (CSBA) (http://coloradobeekeepers.org) for ~$10.00/year. They have a "for sale" and "wanted" section on their website and you could list your "wanted" item there. FYI; the CSBA will be having their summer meeting in Silt on 15 June, 9:00-5:00 at 5845 CR 346. You should plan on attending because there will be outside speakers and it will give you a chance to rub shoulders with other local and statewide beekeepers. I would like to commend you on getting into beekeeping at your age. It is a very interesting hobby and if you tweek it the right way could be a profitable business and career. It is a hobby for me and I started at half your age but had a 65 year gap untill I got back into it again. Good luck to you. You can PM me if you like.

Bendriften,

Had lunch in the Saguache central park about two weeks ago on my way to Pagosa Springs. I wish I had known where you were located and I would have eaten my sandwich and talked to you. This year I built an electric bear fence at a place I have near Salida at 10,000 feet and plan to move a couple of colonies out there as an experimental out yard. How big is your bee yard in Saguache and how do they produce? You can PM me if you like.

Steve

Hey Steve. I currently don't have a yard in Saguache, I had to move to Monte Vista to work for a drilling company here. I do know of a couple spots that I would like to put bees in Saguache once I get my numbers up. Don Baker up there tells me he doesn't get but about 60 lbs per hive. I think in the right spots with a lot of clover a guy can get about 100. Most of my colonies in Monte Vista did that this year. Awesome year for clover down here. If you put bees up there in Salida, make sure it is a really good bear fence. I had one get in and destroy 16 hives this year. I am sure you know all about bear fencing though. The biggest mistake I made was not giving the owner my phone number. The bear got in right after an inspection then things got busy at work and I didn't make it back for a couple weeks and it destroyed everything. If you make it back down this way give me a shout. Oh and there is a gal selling honey there in Salida. She has about 750 hives that she runs around there. She is a pretty nice gal and has a good selections of different honeys. FYI, I got some orange blossom honey from my bees this last year and did not find it that tasty so don't waste your money on that if stop in and want to try something a little different. Oh if you want to put bees North of Salida up by nathrop then let me know I know a guy with a place near the river.