Hybrid View

Default re-housing a zombie swarm ??

Short version: I lost a hive last week....and found it again today. I need some advice on putting it back were it's supposed to live.

Long version: I went on vacation 2 weeks ago & came home last week to one of my hives in obvious trouble. Two days after that we got a six-inch snowstorm with temps in the 20's. I dismantled the hive this weekend to find about 200 frozen bees around a frozen (young) queen. Not finding any evidence of disease, I put their two full supers on an adjacent hive and put their two deeps in the freezer (one drawn comb, one with 40# of honey).

Well, today my wife found a swarm in the neighbor's yard, apparently surviving the snowstorm. I'm going to try to leave work early and re-home them in their previous deeps.

If I get them back in their deep(s), and put them back in their place tonight, what are the odds they'll stay put this time around? For various reasons, I'm missing about 5 of 20 frames from the pair of deeps. Should I put empty frames in (offcenter)? foundation frames?

If I get them to stay (and they have about 60# of feed), what chance might they have in an area that usually needs 70-80#?

Default Re: re-housing a zombie swarm ??

put the swarm in one deep with two drawn but empty frames in the center and four frames full of honey on either side.
    put five pounds of dry sugar on top AKA MountainCamp Method.
    good luck,
    mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin