Default New beekeeper from Central Illinois

First, I just want to say thanks for all the advice and information everyone provides on this forum. I've read hundreds of posts before I actually joined, and I hope maybe someday I can help someone else out.

I started with 4 hives this Spring and lost 1 (well, I didn't really lose it, they know where they are...) The remaining 3 did pretty well and 1 is very strong. I had my first inspection with the Dept. of Ag. and he was very helpful. Only thing on the report was a mite count of 15.5 in 100 bees. I hope the Hopgard does it's thing. One of the many mistakes I've made was waiting until late Oct. to treat them.

We harvested just shy of 50# this Fall which really surprised me after reading that most first year bees don't produce any extra. That plus a record drought and high heat as well.

We're hoping to double or triple our hives next year and luckily have quite a few people that are asking us to put a few on their property. One thing I have noticed is when people find out you keep bees, the questions and the conversation goes long. We really enjoy it and are learning something new every day.

Thanks again!

Default Re: New beekeeper from Central Illinois

Welcome Roger!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com