Default SBB or solid in SE

At what point, if any, do those of you in the southeast change from a screened bottom board to a solid bottom board?

Does it make a difference to you if it's on a 10frame or a NUC?
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Default Re: SBB or solid in SE

SBB fans do not change in the Dakotas or Canada. You can get through the week of winter down there. creen the blowing wind if you are worried. Heat rises so it will not leak out the bottom.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I'm new but logic told me it was getting colder and the bees work to keep things in the 90s inside. I pulled my screened inner covers and and closed up the bottoms a couple of weeks ago. 50f and very windy here in NE GA this morning. Really glad they're buttoned up!

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Heat rises so it will not leak out the bottom.
    Here in Vermont we have noticed that heat rises, just the same as it does (we assume) in Florida. But when winter rolls around, we don't leave all the doors and windows open on the first floor, thinking that it will still be warm on the second floor.

I usually close my SBB as soon as the lows get into the 40s......but this spring I discovered that two of them I forgot to put in the bottom.....they survived. they also have upper entrances so I assume that created quite the chimney affect.....I dont think the bees warm up the whole hive just the center of the cluster.

I leave my SBBs on all winter and don't close them off. All of my hives made it through last winter some of which were single deeps (caveat - we had a really mild winter but it was colder than the SE). The only winter prep I do is shim the inner cover about 1/4" and put on some mouse guards. Leaving the bottom open allows the condensed water (if any) a way out. I prop my inner covers to get rid of most of it but what little collects goes out the bottom on the ground along with all of the little "wax crumbs" left over from the bees uncapping the cells to get to the honey. If you are in doubt, leave some open and close some off. See what happens in the spring. I think the only thing added by closing off a sbb or replacing it with a solid bottom is work. Moisture and starvation kill more bees in winter than cold in my opinion. Both of these can be mitigated by the beekeeper.

Thee is a very smart beekeeper around here who has said more than once that bees dont die of the cold during winter. They die from not being able to reach their food, starvation.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

thx to all
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

I am going to solid bottom boards.
    I inherited a hive when I arrived here and I was told it was years old and unattended. It was dilapidated. I changed out the bad components and put an SBB on it. I absconded 9 months later.
    I have a few hives that have absconded and I am looking for common denominators.
    Of the feral hives I have seen, I haven't seen any with that type of expose to the elements.
    I gets pretty hot here so I can see the SBB advantages at the same time, ants and other predators can enter through the screen so I will let you know what conclusion, if any, I come to.
    I won't be happy until I try it.